Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

new clunky diff

rob spencer

• Support Team

Successfully through the SVA in Derby, my 1.8 de Dion SV is now on the road.

I’m still getting used to it having driven only 200 miles in it since last Saturday but I’m a bit concerned at the clunking differential (I think). Sudden changes from power on to power off (and vice-versa) produce a very noticeable clunk. There is also bit of a strange noise coming from the diff area when it is under zero load (ie just enough gas to neither accelerate nor decelerate using engine braking).

The first question is how much play is there in good new diff?

and secondly

How noticeable is it when driving the car?

I’ve not yet rechecked the oil level since first filling the diff. Could a slightly low oil level affect anything to give such a result in such a short distance?

Should I be concerned or have you all got the same "problem"

rob

I had exactly the same experience and even got Caterham to check it out - consensus was that its due to backlash between gears in the diff - you can reduce this by tightening the crush washer but this might cause it to be noisier, probably best left alone.

"They all do that Sir.."

Mine (passed SVA Feb) makes a great amount of noise, enough I was convinced I had broken something. The noise from the back end is much better after you have run in as the increased revs you'll be playing with will drown out any nasty clunks.

• Support Team

thanks guys.

The initial euphoria had started to wane with all the noises coming from all over the place, squeaks, creaks, rumbles, growls, clunks, and clatters. I even drove it with the hood up (about midnight on the M1 and it was below zero) and the noise was quite deafening.

But now I know that it all seems to be quite normal, Im happy again and will be able to pay a little less attention to them.

rob