Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Has any one fitted a radar snooper to their seven?

James King

You *might* have a problem if you have a heated screen as they aren't as effective through these.

I'm seriously considering a unit with a remote sensor head. You can stick this in the nose and the warning unit in the car which seems ideal. The one I'm thinking of getting was also designed for bikes so is weatherproof and loud!

Not much cop for transferring between cars though unless you stump up for two sensors.

There are people (me included if I'm honest) that think radar detectors will eventually be banned. It's only legal technicalities that have stopped it thus far and I'm sure they'll get round those eventually. A remote sensor system should be a bit easier to hide (sorry, keep tidy) though, and many now have "stealth" technology to hide them from being detected by detector detectors. Detectors.

The bike radar detector sounds good, I will look into them. I had a long discussion with the chappy in Halfords today about whether or not they would become illegal. He did put a good case in their favour, but then he was trying to sell me one. Personally I feel they probably will, but until then they are a cool gadget. He mentioned problems with false alarms from every automatic opening door you pass by.... the heated screen could be a problem as I have one in the other motor too.

I sell them - the Snooper S5 seems about the most popular at the moment because it is digital, and gives great range on those blasted gatso's

we retail them for about £300 but to a 7 owner, call it £220 if you'd fancy one!

let me know. If you want advice on radar detectors, also, let me know.

Cheers,

Ju

Hiya - there was a load of noise a few years ago about owning these things being legal but their use being legal..since then the european court has stepping in & now you CAN use them & there's nothing they can do....I doubt that now they're in they'll ever be leaving...they work in the unlicensed public radio band so they can't stop you using them...untill they shift the detectors into another band or change the licensing (which will cause an uproar - loads of things use the band) you won't have a problem..

You should also note that they don't work with lasers unless the dot is focused on the detector, which lets face it is gonna be rare.

I'd recommend the diffusers (£200 from Maplin inc detector system) which emmit their own signal to prevent the detectors from calculating your speed...again public band - can't be banned :-)

For Julian really as the seller of the Snooper. Do these detectors really work - I ask because I have bought two of these things from the States (Cobras. Theyare great at detecting Gatso's facing me but do nothing until I am parallel with one on my own side; the very side where I really need warning. Is there a difference between the UK models and the American ones. It might restore my faith in what I have so far considered a 'toy'. Thanks in advance

Julian - if you can get hold of Bel gear I'll buy one from you. The independent reviews I've read of the Snooper stuff didn't rate them as highly as the Bel kit.

meg299 - I think the boys in blue tried to get around the use problem by saying it was perverting the course of justice or some such.

I've no doubt they can't ban detectors per se, or even necessarily having one active in the car. Where I think they'll come from is "acting on the information it supplies" or something.

The French authorities are very tough on use with immediate confiscation (which is why the "stealth" stuff is good. If the Euro court ruled, why does it not apply across Europe (apart from the fact that they're French and nothing seems to apply to them unless they want it to).

Also, you can buy a plug in module for the remote sensor one that sorts laser out. This unit was tested with the radar device with the help of some traffic cops, and proved highly effective giving more than enough warning of impending "accident black spot areas".