Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed problem

robmar

Yesterday at castle coombe my car developed a problem where it is very very hard to get it into and out of 6th gear. It is like I am having to force it aginst something, which has a little give, and you have to really push/pull hard. There is no snick in at all sad.gif. Any ideas as to the cause? gear selector perhaps?

All other gears are fine just 6th sad.gif

the car is still relatively new having only covered 3000 miles

rob

I had a similar problem with mine when it was fairly new, after some hardish running in 6th (like a stretch of motorway, or a few laps of a fast circuit) it was *very* difficult to get out of 6th. Once it had cooled down again it was fine. It went back to Caterham who sorted it out.

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 10 Apr 2002 17:01:48

I guess from your vagueness you do not know what the problem actually was, it could be the same thing as coombe had some high revs in 6th for a period (I got my 3rd shift light on just before quarry which is set to 6,600)

mine is still difficult to engage/disengage when cold as well tho sad.gif

rob

I've noticed this with mine once it was rebuilt by R & R Transmissions in 1998 (13000 miles later). Enthuseastic driving in France induces it. Couldn't work out what the problem was until I started analysing how I changed gear. Usually in 6th one has been cruising for a while & the brain has defaulted to a neutral state. Make sure the clutch goes flat to the floor & this seems to sort the problem. But as Mike Bees says it may have more to do with the detent plunger binding (gearbox expert I also am not) after a prolonged enthuseastic spell in 6th.

Mick

For those interested, there is a good Caterham parts book with brilliant 'exploded' views of the box + internals that shows all you want/need to see. I believe Phil Stewart (Road & Race Transmissions) was involved and it shows. Real professional piece of work (unlike the std car parts cat.!). All parts have a number and decent listing etc

Goes under the title of "Six Speed Gearbox Assembly" (original)