Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series engine lifting beam

ECR

Roger,

Machine mart sell a load leveller for about £30 which allows you to control the angle of decent. This is especially useful with the gearbox attached!

I used the chains supplied, attached to the four corners of the head with some bolts and large washers.

Its also been used on a vauxhall engine (Terry Dutton).

Regards

Ian

What's wrong with rope and an engine crane?

That's what I was intending to do anyway....I have always used rope when installing or removing the engine and gearbox on my Davrian, and the K engine is actually lighter than the Imp unit with the box on....at 90kg complete with wraparound exhaust.

Just make sure the rope forms a cradle, so one loop round the front, one further back, and the hook and chain from the crane attaches to the centre of the cradle of rope.

Piece of cake! *idea* *thumbup*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Quite possibly nothing is wrong with a rope and chain....

I have seen the K series lifting beam though and it does seem to hold the engine at a pronounced angle which would be difficult to reproduce with rope.

Thanks Mick, that looks like something I can copy !

*cool*

See you tomorrow Gordon

Edited by - ECR on 30 Apr 2007 22:13:11

Edited by - ECR on 30 Apr 2007 22:15:53

I've been lucky-enough to have used the beam on each of the half-dozen+ engine swaps I've been involved with. It really does make it easy and doesn't rely on your ability to source or knot rope...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

If you need to, use a piece of chain diagonally accross the engine. It will suffice but a beam is nice - just make sure the handle is towards the rear of the car. If you don't have the lifting eyes, use a couple of bolts with some washers on. Looks dodgy but works.