Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will I be ready in time???

neil.cavanagh

Entered into Llandow and Llys-y-fran as my first sprints of the year but my engine upgrade isn't complete yet! The new engine ran for the first time yesterday, but there are a heap of issues:

1) new zorst is very close to alternator and starter motor.

2) After fillding around with the starter motor wires that were melting themselves the starter refuses to work. Was it jkust the hot click of death or totally pooh-bared?

3) Need to sort out wiring for oil temp sender but that ain't a biggy.

4) Car runs like a dog. Ok above 4000rpm and on full throttle but it is a piece of pooh anywhere in between.

I'm booking in for a rolling road on 9th May, which should cure 4 as I'm on a not really right map at all. Just the supplied base map on the emerald which is for a 160 1.6 on jenveys not a 1.8 VVC head on roller barrels!

So.... a bit of a challenge to be totally ready in time!

Neil

Of course you will be ready in time, you have got loeads of time *thumbup*

Firstly, I suggest you wrap your primaries if they are that close to the starter and alternator which is a bit surprising given all the space in the engine bay of an SV. I would also put some heat shield on the starter wiring *confused*

The starter motor could possibly be repaired or alternatively you can buy the Brise unit.

Oil temp wiring is straightforward *thumbup*

See you at Steve G's on 9th *tongue*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Neil.

I'm sure it will be fine mate!!! get some heat wrap on the exhaust tho!! You can buy reflective heat shields for alternators and starters if that's a problem too! Why didn't you have the exhaust routed slightly away when it was made BTW???

And....route the wires behind the starter mate! I had to do this with mine, it's fiddly but possible!! The starter will hopefully be ok!! Is the solenoid activating?? If you're getting this clicking then at least you're halfway there! You can test the motor by putting a wire the other terminal on the solenoid which feeds the starter and then touching this to the battery! If this spins the starter it should indicate all is well! ( I used to have this extra wire attached to the starter and taped away so in the dreaded click scenario you can activate the solenoid using the starter button then touch this other wire to the battery and the car would start!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Neil

Mere teething troubles, you've done the hard work.

My engine is coming out tomorrow after finally tracing a gear problem down, tried everything else but its got to come out 🙆🏻. Taking it to get the gearbox rebuilt on Wed, hopefully back in time for the Welsh weekend 🤔

Good luck

Martin

I know Robin, its a bit sickening, bl**dy engine sitting there all winter, would have been so easy if only the problem was there at the time.

I blame the Isle Of Wight 😬

Lucky we have open top cars or we'd end up with sore heads too from those roads *eek*

Hopefully see you at Llandow

Martin

Fingers crossed I can get it sorted. Just wondering if I should order a new starter motor just in case it is totally cooked. I'm away from the car until friday evening. But at least it is a long weekend to try and fix it in!

Martin, I'm really looking forward to seeing your new low flying machine. Are you planning on camping at both events or are you staying at those luxury B&Bs Mark frequents? *eek*

Robin

Camping at Llandow is just round the corner from the track, can't imagine there would be any need to book but you can ring them on 01446 794527, think they have a website too 🤔 ah there it is here

Probably an early start for me I think if the car is ready

Martin