Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What Tyres ?

Keith Henson

Looks like my faithful, original Michelin Pilots atre not long for this world. I will need to replace at least 2 shortly & the other 2 not much later!

I mostly use the car on the road and travel around 10,000 miles per annum - maybe more this year (business is a pleasure!)so sensibly I am looking for a good "all round tyre".

I am doing my very first track day at the club event at Cadwell and hope to do a few more afterwards. However, I don't have the luxury of two sets of wheels & tyres, so whatever I get will have to do for all circumstances (at least for now)

Incidentally Michelin no longer make the Pilot - it has been superceded with a completely different tread pattern & presumably different handling characteristics?

I would much appreciate the views of all of you experienced se7enners out there. What do you reckon are the best / worst tyres you've had ( bearing in mind my requirements?

Thanks in advance!

C4TTT

Hmm 10K miles per annum, what size wheels are you running and how long do you want the tyres to last?

Yoko A539's are a fairly good normal road tyre and should be better than the Pilots and still last quite a while.

The other ones to look at are Bridgestone RE720's (I think that's the right number). What size wheels are you running? if you're on 15" you maybe able to get Bridgestone S03's which are also ok.

A lot of people will probably say go for 021r's which are in a different league to any of the above in terms of grip and still OK in the wet although they won't last anywhere near as long, 6K miles maybe more if you're gentle.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Agree with westy.

Search the forum then go out and buy a set of 21Rs from Polley.

Slap them on and replace them with more when worn out. Who cares if they wear out at 6-7k miles. They're cheap enough and bring the car to life.

I normally run my car on A520 Yoko's on the road - truth is that most standard road tyres don't do the 7 justice. I went out for a blat on my soft compound 7inch/8inch ACB10's today (running the tyres in for Curborough wink.gif). The difference is unbelievable. Yoko 021's and 032's are not that far off the ACB10's and I'd go for one of them. JMHO but I think running 7's on normal road tyres is kind of like HagenDas ice cream with four pieces of Marzepan in it. smile.gif I accept that the costs of using road tyres are much lower. My 520's have done well over 10,000 miles and look hardley worn at all.

For what it is worth I put a set of A520 yokohamas on a FWD turbo

car that I have (115KW at the wheels) after having run Bridgestone RE71 but NLA in size req'd. They are the worst tyres I have ever had the misfortune to fit. Took them off after 2 days

because of noise, lack of straight line stability, LETHAL grip in the wet. Have used them quite a lot since on a trailer I have with no probs, so I suppose you might say they are OK for this or making a swing seat for the kids

Thanks all.

Showing complete ingnorance now - Andy, who / what is Polley.

I assume that he sells / supplies fits etc ??

Alternatively, having decided what I want, who is the best / cheapest etc. supplier / fitter. Obviously will need to get tyres balanced & so on. For info, I live on Hayling Island, Hants, but travel around a bit so open to whoever does the best deal (within reason!)

Also and on a completely different topic, anyone know where I can go & try on some crash Helmets as I need to get one for Cadwell!!

thanks again,

Keith

C4TTT