Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure K-Series

deanteam

Some of you might be wondering why the deanteam is writing about a C******m, but my sisters got herself one, and we’ve just fitted according to the Fitting guide a Apollo tank on a K-Series engine 1.6 and I’m wondering what kind of oil pressure should be achieved with the car running. At the moment its reading 4bar @ 4000 rpm, what I think is not very high. The oil used is Castrol RS 10W-60. Any answers or recommendations would be very appreciated. But I must say working on the car is superb, after working on it I could not find any trace of grease or dirty oil on my hands, this must be the engineering achievement of thirty years.

Regards Matthew

Congratulations to your sister on a good choice smile.gif

4bar's fine, especially if the engine's nicely warm as you seem to indicate.

Unconventional wisdom dictates that the pressure with the Apollo is about 0.5bar less than without. There are technical reasons for this that have been explained before, but running the Apollo is a *very* good idea.

Generally you shoud be at 2 or maybe a smidge under at idle and 4ish under load.

Good luck with the car - is it coming to Le Sept? What has she bought?

Yes its coming on Le Sept.

The car is a 1996 model with the standard 1600 K-Series engine, hooked to a six speed gearbox but without a LSD. The Chassis and suspension is the basic set up De Dion at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing you on Le Sept

Regards Matthew

Just noted that you are using 10W-60 oil. Its not going to do any harm but 60 grade is pretty thick stuff and will sap power and increase fuel consumption(marginally). On the other hand it will give high oil pressure as it is hard to pump.

Admittedly I'm using 20W-50 and I think thats a bit on the high side. I think next time I'll set for a 30 grade full synth.

BC

My 1800 modified 'K' has an Apollo tank + a Laminova water/oil cooler and when given a really long, fast blat can see the pressure down to 3 bar at 4,000 rpm and an idle of about 1.9 bar. At first it worried me but it has been very consistent so I think the gauge/sender undereads and have given up the worrying!!!

Cold start shows a max pressure of 4.25 bar.

If it's any consolation my K series oil sender/gauge has consistantly under-read since new in 1994. On mentioning it to Caterham (v v naive then) they said oil pressure OK: "the gauge is only a guide if it deviates then bring it back". Hot pressure was 3 bar at 4000 rpm & hot idle 1.5 bar (or less). The engine is now a new 1.6 & guess what, same oil pressure readings; even less when the Apollo tank fitted. Just thought I'd change the sender (it is a little old!!), oil pressure now 4.5 bar hot at 3500 rpm & 2 bar hot idle. As Chris said a while ago: "Worry gauges".

Mick

Edited by - Mick Day on 9 Apr 2002 23:15:06