Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight Road

Red SLR

Any body got any experience of the Superlight Road (1600cc K)?

I have ordered one and delivery is due in Sep. I would like to hike power to 150hp initially? Any tips / hints / experiences would be welcomed. Regards, Simon.

Simon, I'm a bit slow, but are you saying that you're buying a brand new Caterham and then immeadiately looking to modify the engine - which will obviously cost money - why not just buy a more powerful one in the first place? Having said that I don't know what the current Caterham engine line-up looks like now-a-days in terms of power. Sorry if I sound a bit thick - I am!

Andrew - the Superlight Road is just about top of the range, it is the model below the R500. As it is very light the std car only has 135hp. Still 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. But I would just like to refine the engine a bit more, I have a bit of knowledge of Fords but that is about it, any decent ECUs for the K?

Andrew - the Superlight Road is just about top of the range, it is the model below the R500. As it is very light the std car only has 135hp. Still 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. But I would just like to refine the engine a bit more, I have a bit of knowledge of Fords but that is about it, any decent ECUs for the K?

Chaps,

Sounds to me like a bit of confusion between a Superlight (1600 or 1800, power in the 130s), and a Superlight R, which is the 190bhp VHPD engined version.

If you are talking 130s bhp that sounds like a "normal" Superlight to me. There are all sorts of tuning possibilities with these, from just changing cams, to serious headwork and throttle bodies....

Whatever, I would get used to what you have first. 1600SS race cars are usually only about 6s slower than SLRs at most race tracks. The driver makes a lot of difference :-)

Yeah it is the 133hp "standard" version, if there is such a thing. What I was after more was hints/tips about the car, has anyone owned or got the said beast?

I believe the throttle cabels can be a complete sod. Any more ideas? I think I shall run standard trim for 12 months and then go for ECU, Cams and very mild head work, I dont want mega power, just enough to see off a P1 or skyline.

Simon , Ive gota 1.6 superlight , and if you "just want to see off a P1 or Skyline " then this will be no trouble at all in standard spec ( upto 110mph ! ) even easier if you are on a race track or any road with corners !. I would suggest you explore the limits of a standard car prior to any upgrade , as it is generally seen as he most " balanced " caterham in terms of power / grip / weight .

Although Arnie Webb may choose to disagree !!

Come on my sunday run ( see Chit Chat ) and Ill take you for a ride .

Dave