Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ignition Timing Help!

EricP

I have a 1500 race motor in a seven with a lucas distributor and a Pertronix Ignitor (in place of points). My dad has always been around to help set the initial timing to get the thing running. My question is this -- If the distributor is supposed to be installed at approx. 10 degrees BTDC, does this mean the rotor is 10 degrees past (to the left, CCW) the first plug at TDC, or 10 degrees before the first plug (to the right, clockwise)?

I can't get this thing to fire. I've been moving the distributor all around to try and hit the magic tooth. It's getting to be annoying.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

Eric

Denver, Colorado

You cant tell exactly from the rotor positions, nor should you try, set the engine so that the *crank* position is ten degrees before top dead centre on number one cylinder on the *firing* stroke, that is to say that if you turned trhe engine clockwise by another 10 degrees you would be at TDC. Then align the distributor so that the magnet in the petronix plastic rotor is about to align with the pickup, at this point the rotor-arm tip will be pointing in the general direction of the electrode for number one spark plug. There may also be a scribed line on the outside top of the distributor base which should line up with a scribed line in the centre of the rotor arm. Then see if it fires up.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 9 Apr 2002 15:39:03

Edited by - oilyhands on 9 Apr 2002 15:40:17

Thanks Oily. Makes sense to make sure all the stars are aligned, not just closing one eye and holding my thumb away from my face to check for compliance. I'll save that for the alignment of the car...

Thanks again.

EricP