Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fire Extinguisher Advice

RobinW

I mounted mine on the floor just in front of the passenger seat to avoid what Guy says.

I bought my FE from Halfords (it has a pressure guage to check life in it) for about £35 as I have had two cars catch fire in the past.

I can't see the point in spending £95 on a CC branded FE of the same volume.Seemed to be a no brainer to me....

Phil.

I bought one from a canal chandlery, was about £25 and fitted nicely in front of the seat. I fixed it down with 3 velcro straps to avoid leaving the cage in place when the extinguisher is out, as I have a plumbed in one for track days.

TC

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

I've got a powder one mounted to the floor infront of the passenger seat too. I was told once that the powder can settle and get compacted over time meaning it might not work when you really need it, is there any truth to that?

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Thanks for the advice guys *thumbup*. You've just confirmed what I thought, that the best place is in front of the passenger seat. There's plenty of room cos it's a fat boy CSR *wink*

Robin

Edited by - RobinW on 26 Apr 2007 21:26:32

Powder does affect electrics as Apothecary mentions.

If you are competing in an MSA/FIA event you can now only use an AFFF extinguisher.

Due to the settlement powder extinguishers can also have a habit of not working when you want them to. I remember my father a some years ago with an engine fire having to try three extinguishers before the third and the last one worked !

An AFFF is what you should have.

Monted mine in the boot, working on the theory that if I needed it, I would rather be out of the car *cool* Also in a narrow chassis, the space in front of the seat wasn't large enough to mount an extinguisher that would be more than a token effort in a real fire.

Bought mine from Demon T, and took their advice on size.

Aqueous film forming foams *smokin*

Aqueous film forming foams (AFFF) are water-based foams, frequently containing alpha-olefin sulfonates, and/or perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) as surfactants. They have the ability to spread over the surface of hydrocarbon-based liquids. Alcohol-resistant aqueous film forming foams (AR-AFFF) are foams resistant to the action of alcohols, able to form the protective film even in their presence.

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o

The ZETEC is now running here

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 27 Apr 2007 12:43:54

Cheers Guy, I knew I should have paid more attention in chemistry lessons instead of pissing about at the back of class with a bunsen burner trying to singe the eyebrows off the class swot 😔

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

With Powder extinguishers it is a good idea to give it a bash on the floor before setting it off to loosen up the powder inside, it settles on one side and tends not to work otherwise. (not what you want when your pride and joy is going up in smoke in front of your eyes)