Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 supersprint engine - AX block -now on ebay

robert green

I have just had a AX Block 1700 supersprint removed from my Caterham. It has had very regular oil changes, never done short journeys and was in very good health with strong oil pressure, no oil leaks or oil usage before being removed by raceline a week or so ago. Mileage only 23,000. Reason for removal - Racelines very tempting offer! I was planning to ebay it, but if anyone here is interested, blatmail me for photos, price etc. It was supplied new by caterham with my car in 1994 and is the standard super sprint spec. Never tracked. Now only 2 days left to run! On ebay - see below!

Edited by - robert green on 16 May 2007 20:29:51

Having recently cracked a piston in mine I'm interested in a replacement - how much dosh are you looking for?

Also, I'm interested to know how much did the Raceline replacement cost - headline figure is £2k but when I did the sums it came out at £4.5k inc vat for all the other bits you need plus a dry sump - is that a fair appraisal?

Tim

Muscat, I will blat mail you with my thoughts on price, and can give you a better idea of the full install cost - which as you say is a fair bit more than the headline £2k. Picking my car up on Friday so will shortly have the bill. The look of my car is very important to me and from the photos of the install it seems as though they have done a very neat job.

After reviewing my options I have decided to try and get my engine fixed. I'm crossing my figures and hoping that the damage is not too bad. So I'm not in the market for an engine now. However I could be again in a few weeks time if I find that mine is knackered beyond repair.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't given it the full beans yet - it is being set up on a rolling road tomorrow so this w/e should be fun. Initial thoughts - huge improvement in torque and low down pick up. If the top end is anything like as good it will be money well spent. It wasn't cheap as Raceline did the whole install for me and they are perfectionists, so everything in the engine bay was loveingly cleaned and put together extremely neatly. It still sounds great as I have retained the carbs! You have blat mail re the cost!