Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What to wear

jonsharland

Hi Andy!

Actually, it just looks like a pair of black racing overalls but has the thermal lining inside. The only extra ears are of a De Dion nature!!!

I'll just say "Pace dry sump upgrades" to you. That should have you scurrying around and pulling out yer hair!!!

I find Caterham's Motorsport Weatherproof jacket brilliant if the weather is cold or a bit dodgy. It's very warm and comfortable and loose fitting allowing the arms to whirrr around if necessary. It's on their website (but costs 80 squid).

I ALWAYS wear the Sparcos now but have a change of shoes in the boot if like Alex I don't want to fee a prat walking round in what the wife call "your ballet shoes". They're the only shoes in which I can successfully heel-n-toe, to pick up another thread on here.

I find a baseball cap useful as a sun visor but worry about looking like a super-annuated Nova-boy.

Don't try sandals, bare feet etc if driving abroad in v hot weather (eg Le Mans 2000). The hot air coming through the pedal slots will bake your toes to a turn, especially if basted in hydraulic fluid.

Weatherproof fleece (eg Sprayway or similar) is excellent being wind and waterproof and fully zippable. If you don't fancy the waterproof trousers, a bin liner is good over the legs when stationery in wet weather. When you are going the rain goes over the top anyway.

I saw someone in a 7 or clone recently south of Bramley on the A281 wearing a full face helmet! Is this an extension of the Sparco phenomenon? Should we be using tyre warmers before venturing out?

Arse smile.gif

Touch and go whether there'll be any Pace gear on my car at all at the minute.

Anyway, back to the thread.

Buy yourself a Berghaus Storm 2 3/4 length GoreTex jacket. Keeps the wind out, is 100% waterproof, breathable, stops wind (external) etc. You can zip a fleece into it for extra warmth and it has well placed pockets for use with harnesses!

3/4 length is useful as it means you can just about sit on it if your seat gets wet. The Storm is pretty good as you don't *have* to have a colour that makes you look like a hiker. Not cheap but is an excellent coat.

I then have a Caterham fleece hat (peaked caps have a tendency to fly off at speed) and a selection of different thickness fleeces (to use with or without the jacket) with a highish collar for back of neck (I've found the "Polartec 300" ones to be very good at keeping out drafts and the cold). A scarf is also handy if it's really cold as the wind coming round the back of your neck can get seriously cold.

Combat trousers are a plus as they have more easily accessible pockets.

Gloves wise I found a pair of Gantt Sport gloves in John Lewis that work brilliantly. They're fleece type material again but not that thick, and have a rough rubber coating to the palm and fingers. Helps grip things without reducing feel *too* much.

Driving boots finishes it off and a spare pair of shoes in the boot in case I fancy walking around a bit (unlikely). If you have a heater you don't have to worry so much about lower extremities.

When I first hired a car from Caterham I was wearing Clarks desert boots. After a couple of hours driving I thought I'd stood in some chewing gum because my feet started sticking to the pedals. Turned out it was the soles of the shoes 'getting up to temperature'.

Can thoroughly recommend the Caterham Beenie hat as a way of keeping ears warm.

Ant.