Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What to wear

jonsharland

I am planning to use my se7en in all weathers and conditions and I was wondering what sort of protective clothing do people find fits into the their car also what type of shoes do people drive in as I found on my test drive that my normal shoes catch on each other

Jon

3 weeks to go !!!!

Hi Jon,

I now have three pairs of "Caterham ready" shoes. Spent my first couple of months of Caterham ownership running round shoe-shops looking for appropriate-width (and priced!) shoes until I got a couple. And was bought a great pair of trainers by my girlfriend, based on F1 race boots. Very flash and very narrow. Not cheap.

I'd also recommend not wearing especially nice shoes, as over time, they get filthy with aluminium (if your car's not painted / "trimmed").

However, what I have found is that you can wear larger shoes if you change the way you move your feet. Right foot should twist (left side down, right side up - opposite of heel-and-toe) when moving between brake and gas pedals, and you should find that when on the gas, the foot fits beneath the brake pedal (if it's set up properly.

Big shoes makes heel-and-toe a doddle...

Dan.

You will almost certainly find the investment in a pair of proper driving boots or shoes well worth the investment. I could not drive my car in normal shoes properly. If you are not looking to compete, then non-FIA compliant boots are not even as expensive as a pair of trainers. Demon Tweeks of GP Racewear have loads to choose from.

The club fleece is very good - reversible with a water resistant side and a fleecy side. Not too bulky and has the right label!

Shoes are tricky. Canvas trainers like Converse ones are usually narrow enough. Racing boots are good but I tend to feel a bit of a prat walking around in mine (apart from at area meetingas when I know I won't be alone!)

Alex

Racing boots are by far the best thing for getting the most out of the car.

If you're really worried about looking foolish around Tescos, take a spare pair of normal shoes with you and change. Or don't take the 7 to Tescos.

Once you drive a 7 with these on you'll wonder how you managed before, especially if you have big feet.

Bought some racing boots a couple of months ago. Big improvement and far less accidental catching of wrong pedal with the side of my foot. Was never dangerous, but made me feel clumsy.

Due to wife nagging I found myself driving in deck shoes last weekend (something about looking nerdy in the Sparcos) to the detriment of my driving. New plan is to to take a spare pair of shoes to avoid nagging, but wear the boots for driving. Caterham owning is a compromise, at least it is in my house.

James

Don't know the problem - can drive mine in trainers, cowboy boots (they are narrow and comfortable so thats what I wear mostly) and also in size 11 steel capped boots.

compared to Westfie1d, theres loads of room!

Bri

A hat is a good start, baseball caps are good as there are no sun visors on sevens but you get cold ears in winter.

A fleece and thin wind/waterproof top, I use my golf jacket as it has a high collar.

As for shoes I've managed the last year with a pair of moccasins from my local market and at £9.99 I think a bit of a bargain. I do carry a pair of trainers with me to save embarrassment in the local.

I concurr with the pair of sparcos and some spare shoes in the boot, when you change your shoes it sort of adds to the whole preparation to drive experience. Hats - I use a baseball cap or nothing, I'm also in the polarfleece brigade but next time I buy one it'll be a windstopper one.

I got told off the other day for going out for the weekend with the GF wearing my ickle bright blue Momo pixie boots and a Se7ens list 'Joseph' fleece (those who've seen one will NOT have forgotten the sight of one!). But then we were going to an airfield day.

Raceboots are the best functionally but for normal driving I just wear skate shoes - Airwalk Scorch for preference due to the flames down the sides wink.gif

Dan

Furrybird Q660 KKL

Enough of shoes!

When it's really cold, I've found that a one piece fleece lined suit is really good at keeping out the cold. I use one that I bought for use inside my scuba diving dry suit. They are known as 'Wooly Bears' for some reason (Arnie!) and really do work well at speeds in excess of............err; and depths of 30 metres+ in water at 4*C !!!

I tend to wear a set of thin sailing thermals if I know that I will be out for an extended low-temperature run, usually with a fleece and a driza-bone riding coat which seems to be totally windproof and impervious to rain, hail, etc...and has a sensible set of straps that hold it all together well enough that nothing flaps about in the wind blast.

Miraz

Chris - is your "wooly bear" (I'd have put you at too old for pet names) pink and does it include a hood with large ears?

How on EARTH you can admit to wearing something like that in public I will never know. Chromed roll bars and HLWDs are one thing, but this...?

I take it you were very busy a couple of weeks ago?