Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Where to get get rivnuts?

Peter Carmichael

I would suggest any nut & bolt supplier, espeically if they sell rivets - same people tend to make rivnuts or similar.

And such a supplier is bound to be a more sensible price than motorsport orientated merchants!

Bri

The ones RS sell have a very small lip on them. The ones Caterham use are slightly smaller in diameter overall but have a huge lip on them. This is important for us as the large lip makes it more likely that they'll stay tight in the thin soft alloy.

A rivnut that is spinning in the panel is a pain in the arse as it's virtually impossible to remove the bolt to get the wing off to get to the rivnut to change it.... Plus you can't drill it out as it's spinning.... Guess what been there, done that.

I'd give Arch a ring and get them to put a handful in the post.

In my factory we use the RS rivnuts in aluminium quite regularly and never have a problem with them turning provided they are properly fitted and, as a security measure, with a drop of Loctite around the shoulders.

This seems to prevent future problems even on screws which are regularly removed/re-fitted for maintenance etc.

Brent

Try here.

They speciaise in s/steel and are very helpful and will supply any quantity from odds and sods right up to bulk orders.

They can supply Rivnuts in Aluminium, Glv steel and s/steel, plain or ribbed and also countersunk or the more usual 'top hat' shape.

Failing that, give 'em a call on 01342 410758 and ask for Andy.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Dan

Fury K