Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Duratec Oil temp

Rob Walker

Hi,

First track day with my new 2L duratec yesterday at Cadwell, the car ran very well but I have a problem with high oil temperatures the car is running with the Raceline wet sump and I was seeing 120C oil temp after 10 mins on track, Coolant temp never got above 90C despite drafting ECR for six laps, air temp was only 15C at cadwell so an oil cooler is required. Anyone fitted one to their duratec, what did you fit and where did you mount it etc.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I am building an R400 now and it has a Mocal air/oil exchanger mounted in front of the rad. This is a Caterham setup and the have brakets that bolt to the side plate on the rad which hold the cooler, they also have a cowl around the rad fan at the rear of the rad. Due to the newness of the car this whole setup is still evolving as I build my one and cooling seems to be quite an issue.

Barry

R400 Duratec No. 001

120 is about the limit you want to see I guess, but amazed you hit this so quickly. My dry sumped duratec with quite a large tank very rarely hits 100 unless it's very hot and I stay out for over 20 minutes. Coolant never budges from 85 or so.

My oil temp sender is bust so it hasn't been working for a while but the only time I've seen it over 100 was on a prolonged highway section of road in USA in very high temps on tour.

I am interested though because I do notice after the car has been driving for a while the oil pressure does begin to dropoff.

Up to now I've been using a Caterham water temp sender to measure oil temp in the sump, don't know how accurate they are for oil so maybe not the most accurate reading.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

I wonder what temp. Dobuy sees in Dubai at 50 C? Neil?

OK, well I started off on a Raceline 226bhp with Raceline baffled wet-sump and Raceline Alloy (modified CC) radiator. Initially I got temperatures up to about 114' or so, on the track during high ambient temps (40-45'c)

I fitted the Think Automotive Mocal oil-cooler with thermostatic spin on adapter fitted to just below the level of the radiator.

This cooled temps down nicely, with the highest seen about 102 and the averages much closer to 85.

P.S. If anyone is interested the whole oil cooler system is for sale as I now have a Dry Sump (and higher oil temps!)

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Rob,

How are you measuring oil temp?

120oC seems out of kilter with the other posts' experiences. Before spending £s and adding Kgs, have you really got a problem?

Also, consider that fully synth oil should be OK even higher than 120oC so long as no other engine running probs and coolant temp is stable.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

HI

I had the same problem with high oil temps when doing trackdays - 120C. Mine is a Raceline 220 BHP on a wet sump. I fitted an oil filter thermostatic sandwich plate and plumbed that to an 18 row oil cooler in front of the alloy radiator. This has solved the problem.. about 20 track days including the 2005 Le Sept where it got damned hot.

Oil temp probe is in the sump, tapped into one of the blanking plugs. Oil temp now peaks at around 100C. Water temp usually around 90C on track.

One of the Duratectives

Bazza, Thanks thats a funny size I know Mocal make 7 10 13 16 etc going up in threes , recon you may have a 10 row unless its a special.

6speedmanual, I am measuring the bulk oil temp from the oil gallery in the sump imediately before the oil pump. What you have to consider is that yes it is OK to run at say 110C bulk oil temps with good synthetic oils but as we can only measure bulk oil temps this cannot tell what the peak oil temps are at a highly loaded part of the engine such as the big ends the oil temp at that point could be well above the measured bulk oil temp and be breaking down just in the most loaded place within the engine.

Roger, I certainly hope it doesn`t slow me down or I will never catch you especially when you change back to slicks.

Dobuy, I am interested in your oil cooler system YHM.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 25 Apr 2007 08:44:46

Yes Rob I know it's a funny size so probably 10 but it was late! I should get good temp data from my one when it's running as it has stack. Maybe an oil stat is worth considering as well.

Barry

R400 Duratec No. 001

Rob

I was refering to bulk oil temps.

What I meant by "how are you measuring temp" was what type of sensor/gauge are you using? (rather than where you are measuring it)

This is quite important because, for example, the little 2" diameter dashboard guages are notoriously inaccurate. (not necessarily inconsistent with themselves, but two gauges may give significantly different readings)

For engineering analysis to make decisions about the oil cooler set-up, something accurate and consistent like a thermocouple and electronic meter should be used.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

• 4 weeks later...

I changed the oil and fitted new temp and pressure sensors yesterday.

We have been out for a blat this afternoon and oil never got above 75 deg C, water temp always around 80 deg C...even after giving it the beans

The new oil pressure sender now gives an idle pressure when warmed up of about 2 bar so the old sender was faulty.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here