Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400 SS questions

lowlander

Can someone tell me when the 1400 SS (128 bhp) was introduced and also when it was discontinued? Did this model come with the 6 speed box as standard or was it an option? Lastly what are the differences between the standard 103 bhp 1400 K-series and the SS?

Thanks and all the best.

Can someone tell me when the 1400 SS (128 bhp) was introduced - 94 ish

and also when it was discontinued? - more tricky, I think it evolved rather than was discontinued. I think one of the race series continued with it.

Did this model come with the 6 speed box as standard or was it an option? - An option

Lastly what are the differences between the standard 103 bhp 1400 K-series and the SS? - I think it varied over time, but the main differences in the engine were:

- Supersports cams

- Re mapped ECU, inc a higher rev limit

- Bespoke plenum

- Some had the forward facing ally throttle body

- Shift light on dash

I am glad Oilly confirmed there was a larger one.

I once measured my throttle body (forward facing, ally with stepper motor) to see if it was the 52mm one that is often mentioned on here. It measured a lot bigger (can not remember exactly how much) and I thought, "well what the hell does that mean then ?"

Edited because for some reason, my spelling, typing and grammar fall apart when I post on this forum *eek*

Edited by - Pelico on 23 Apr 2007 17:01:48

I have heard that some 1,4s are quoted at 138bhp. Does anyone know if this is right and if so what was the spec?

I don't know the spec, but they were a Minister engine, a phone call may put you right.

There's one for sale on e-bay, you can see a Minister plaque on the cam cover.

My car was registered in Sept '93 and was a kit build. It had the 6 speed box added later in its life. Not sure on BHP but Its OK chasing R300's on the road without falling behind 😬 R400's more of a challenge *tongue* never been in a scrap with an R500 *eek*

Simon-R

As many owners, 1400SS has found out, the throttle body is lovely, but the butterfly doesn't open completely. An easy thing to rectify.

Stu - I'm assuming you kept your throttle body when you went to an 1800? In which case, our engines are probably very similar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

1400ss TB/plenum appreciation society? 😬

Maybe it's worth keeping all the 1400ss bits, they will become increasingly rare as more and more cars are converted to 1800 with DTH TBs, aftermarket ECUs etc! In 10 - 15 years time a car with its original 1400ss engine complete with plenum, 55mm TB, complete with a six speed gearbox might be a collector's car. Who then, will be the first of us to convert their car back to 1400? 😬

Malcolm

• Leadership Team

I very nearly did when I started thinking about swapping it for a certain black SLR in North Wales 😬

But, when you add up the low cost of doing the 1800 conversion, it's not enough to justify the "back to standard" work involved to sell it without the 1800! ie. less than £1000 to do a basic conversion, maybe get £500 over the equivalent spec 1400 car when you sell. If swapped back, selling the bits 1800 bits would net less than £500 anyway! A worthwhile conversion though, and makes good use of the 5 speed box *thumbup*

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

As another aside praising the 1.4ss. I *think* that when my 1.8 special was built the valves from my spare 1.4ss were used as they were bigger / better ???

Oily - might this be true ?

Edited to be more clear, Oily did not do my recent rebuild - in the past he had seen my early 1.4ss head, and commented on it being slighly different than the normal high port head. And when Dave Brooks stripped my 1.8ss he found bits on my 1.4ss spare engine that he felt were better than on the 1.8ss, one of those I think was valves.

Edited by - Pelico on 24 Apr 2007 08:19:26

The valves might have been in better condition, but they are unlikely to be different either in size or design. The only difference between K series valves over the years is the introduction of carbon break valves on the exhaust to prevent carbon build up on the stems. Head sizes are 27.3mm/24mm and have never varied. The only other production sizes are on the VVC and VHPD head where inlets are 31.5mm and exhausts 27.3mm.

Oily