Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

oil leaks drysump crossflow

hugh

my dry sumped crossflow is weaping oil at most of the hose connections does anybody have any advice on how to seal these connections would plummers tape help if so how many layers should i wrap around the connection thread.

Hi Hugh,

I had a similar problem when I fitted an oil pressure switch on a tee piece.

I used PTFE tape and I guess I used around 4 or 5 turns.

If you apply the tape in the opposite direction to the thread this will alow it to bite into the thread instead of just bunching up as you tighten up the connection.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=green>

You will also find that no matter how hard you try, the pump will also leak where it mates to the block. I have tried two different pumps, different gaskets and different sealers, and they still leak slightly. I don't think even refacing the block would make any difference.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 9 Apr 2002 07:30:25

This is usually caused by minute leaks between the body segments of the pump. The joints have no gasket and the jointing compound goes back to the Ark (possibly made from some spare horses Noah had).

These days we strip the pump and reassemble with a modern jointing compound, with the result that one of our customers complained that his automatic anti-rust chassis lube system had stopped working.

I can't be certain that this is the case, but we spent years wondering why the pump unions always seemed to leak when they would be dry everywhere else on the system.