Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Help! CV boot dead

jackb_ms

Hi

After the Isle of Wight blat it decided to spread all it's grease everywhere.

I took the old one off and when I checked it against the universal one I bought and sadly ☹️ it won't fit.

I need help please in feeding and fitting the right CV boot. I have a rolling road session on Friday the 27th at Emerald.

Cheers

Jack and his 21 in distress.

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

After an other carefull look the outer boot is split as well.

So I need to change the one close to the diff , and the one close to the hub. is it the same part number for both?

How long should it take to do it? couple of hours?

Jack

Jack

buy the duraboot zip up type, do a search as I know Dave Jackson put the part number up. Fitting the Ford kit is a bit of a nightmare as suggested, you have to cut the old jacket off, lot's of fiddling, fit the new one, peen over the edges to get a grease tight seal etc

Mark

Thank you very much Martin

The only worry is that I think you are a bit far away.

I will try and see if i can make it out of can or bottle like Simon did at Llandow.

I'm not sure how rigid it must be *confused*

Jack

Jack, it does not have to be too rigid as its main purpose is to stop the boot from tearing as it goes over the CV joint, an old funnel may be a good starting point, we just used a bottle as it was all that was available

Simon

As suggested bottle or thick plastic bag to ease fitting.

Also grease the small end of the boot- not the end you hold onto. *redface*

The outer one I fitted inside out and popped the right way round once it was on.

I trust the request for a spanner is unrelated to the removal of driveshaft, as you dont need to touch it. *wink*

N

Jack

Undo the two 13mm bolts holding the top part of the caliper (you'll need a 15mm spanner to stop the nut on the bellows turning, gently lift the caliper enough to clear the disc, be very careful not to stress the pipes if they are solid, remove the pads but keep a note of which is inner and outer

Undo the 4 bolts holding the ear (front pair are nut and bolt) to the dedion tube and pull the ear, hub, lower part of caliper and driveshaft from the car

refit in reverse order

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 23 Apr 2007 16:28:25