Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire extinguisher

Taran Las

AFFF - Aqueous Foam Film Forming? - is the most suitable that is currently available and 1 litre is about the starting point. It is worth getting it tested every year and actually using it so you are familiar with its use. As for brand, ignore brand and get it from a local agent so you actually do get it refilled/tested every year.

There are many stories of turning up at the scene of a burning vehicle, pulling out the fire extinguisher that has lain ignored and unloved for a year or so only to find it does nothing.

I have a 1.75l AFFF one and would consider that the minimum that you should get.

I happened to buy a Lifeline one from GPRW and it cost, if memory serves, about 40 quid. When I looked they weren't much more expensive than anyone else and were nearby (ish). Forget the Gucci matt green ones - it needs to be highly visible IMO which is why most of them are red (don't tell me about the green/beige/blue/black ones you saw at school, they're not for use in cars!).

Happily it also fits neatly across the footwell in front of the chassis rail near the front of the seats (bench in my case).

Powder ones can "clump" up if left in one position for any length of time so aren't really suitable (I've heard of one Caterham branded one that I believe did this, and therefore would not work when needed), but you can shake them round every now and then to avoid it. AFFF are much better generally though as they keep the fire down better.

Not only is firing one off good from a practice point of view, it's also bloody good fun if you have some mates in close proximity. If you do this and enjoy it lots I can get hold of the contact numbers for the people at Dennis for you. Playing with *proper* fire extinguishers is amazingly good fun, especially if you're allowed to use the lights and sirens!

I think it's Aqueous Film Forming Foam by the way wink.gif

Last tip - don't go yanking the bonnet off of a car that you think is on fire. Use the bonnet vents, entry through the nose or as small a gap as you can get away with to stick the nozzle into before lifting it.

I had one supplied by Caterham, plumbed in. It cost a bit over £100, which seemed reasonable. I wonder, though, if it would be fully effective if the fire wasnt where one of the 3 outlets is (fuel tank, drivers footwell and back of engine). I had a Caterham destroyed by a fire which started at the front of the engine.

Edited by - wag on 8 Apr 2002 14:12:48

I presume the one at the back of the engine bay is pointing forwards? smile.gif

You should be OK, the nozzles used for plumbed in ones give a lot of coverage (and are excellent for the job as you usually get to the fire that bit quicker). If you've ever worked in a bar and over tightened the "sparkler" head you'll know how far you can spray liquid like this...

100 quid (incl. fitting and VAT?) is a good price for a plumbed in one...were the guys at Caterham feeling ill/charitable?

I bought a small fire extinguisher (0.8KG's) for the cockpit but can't work out the best place to fix it - I thought between the seats but am worried someone will reach in when parked and steal it or worse let it off. There's just not that much room in there ? I suppose I could put it in front of seats but worried it will get stood on ?

Could put it in the boot but this defeats the purpose of it being to hand in an emergency.