Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side repeaters required?

Griff

Got my MoT at Millwood Motors today - that was the good news.

But initially they failed me for no repeaters on the front wings. As the car (a 2003 Roadsport) never appeared to have any I queried this, but was told the "authorities were getting stricted and they had no choice". Is this right or wrong?

The repeaters cost £11+VAT but the labour cost....well, let's just say much more than I was happy with for what should have been a 30 minute job at most *mad*

Irony is they'll come off soon when I change the front wings which are cracking.

Side indicators are not absolutely mandated AFAIK, but there is a rule about the indicators needing to be viewed from the side of the vehicle.

I guess you should keep th wings they have fitted indicators to and refit them once a year for the MoT... *wink*

See some pictures of the build here. 11000 miles completed!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 20 Apr 2007 20:24:19

Griff,

When I bought my car, I took it to Millwoods for a big service and asked them to fit repeaters for me. Also asked for them to fit a lighter-socket.

It was the labour-charges for these items that helped start me down the road to doing all of my own servicing etc.

I hadn't asked for a quote - just assumed it was a small job. They charged £45+VAT to fit the repeaters, £18 to fit the lighter socket, £20 for the socket itself and a further £13 for the repeaters.

Heh-ho.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Leadership Team

Myles, you're highlighting a problem that is likely to get worse and worse in the UK and western Europe. Parts are getting cheaper due to eastern manufacturing, but labour is getting more expensive due to increasing wage inflation. Latest increase in inflation will be governed more by wage rates than component items - and this is only the start.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Well, Millwoods charge "only " £65-ish per hour whereas the Land Rover dealer charges £90+. Then add your VAT and unmotivated, slow staff and the prices soon mount up. If I'd known beforehand then I would have done the job at home in a few minutes, but even a 50% re-test fee and the hassle of going back there again would probably have cost about the same. At least emmissions were OK and I got a pass!!

• Support Team

The relevant section from the MOT manual is here.

..must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. (See information on following page).

My interpretation and that of my local MOT tester is that this section applies:

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hmmm interesting. When I had new front wings Caterham (Dartford) told me that the side repeaters were NOT required for MOT (although they are for SVA), so I chose not to have them.

It wouldn't cause a problem at my local 7-friendly MOT place anyway *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

You could always fit the small Fiat type side repeaters in the side of the headlamp bowl as I and a few others have done. They are quite unobtrusive, and once in place you never need bother about rewiring when you change a wing.

They are the type you see on older Puntos and look something like a nipple. 😳

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬