Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400 K series

lowlander

Hi there,

Can someone tell me when the 1400 K-series was discontinued in favour of the 1600 K-series. 1995/6 rings a bell. Also when was the 1400 k-series re-introduced on the classic?

Is a standard (i.e. non supersport) 1400K good value secondhand or do you think a 1600VX with live axle is better value for money?

All the best.

Martin.

• Leadership Team

1400K ran until the 1995 - chassis change to tunnel handbrake coincided with swap to 1600. There were however 30 limited edition 1400SS models produced with the new chassis. My old 1400SS was a 1995 chassis, but wasn't registered until 1996, just to cause confusion.

IMHO opinion they are a MUCH better buy than the 1600VX live axle - chalk & cheese. The '90s 1400s are easily swapped to 1800cc and benefit from being pre-SVA. Check the link in my signature for a quick guide on how to do the swap *thumbup* There's also a few of the "C-Class" racers around which are a really good spec - safety gear, LSD, etc. Myself and another local owner managed to buy 2 that had never been raced!

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

At the risk of stating the obvious, the 1400 K was also the base model of the Caterham range (the Caterham Classic) between 2003-2006.

I had a 1400SS for 4 years (until I replaced it with an 1800SS) and think it was a lovely car. The Caterham 6 speeder was originally developed for the 1400SS and works very well with it (each gear change slots the engine at the start of the power band (5400 -7200 rpm).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

I'm more than happy with the 1.4 with the 5 speed box as a road car. I'm glad of the rather tall 5th for cruising on the motorway. Although not all that important it does return 44 mpg on a mainly motorway trip which given the aerodynamics is rather impressive.