Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400 thermostat replacement

ECR

Having collected Bruce Robinsons R400 with its new owner yesterday We need to fit a thermostat (Bruce ran on trackdays without one) as it is taking a little too long to warm up fo road use. Presumably it is housed in the plastic moulding beneath the throttle bodies ? Whats the best approach to fitting ? it all looks a bit tight down there .... are there any shortcuts ?

Anyone have a Halfords part number to hand ?

What a spectaculary nice car the R400 is. It feels a lot more refined than my VX (it is less highly tuned though I suppose). I think I prefer it to the R500 on initial impressions....

Ex Chairman Roger

I recently changed the stat in my R400:

- I bought the replacement stat from eliseparts - next day delivery and had the temp I wanted (82).

- I removed the housing without disturbing the TBs. The housing, plus J hose and heater hose still attached, just squeezes out towards the rear of the car if - and only if - you move the dry sump hose out of the way (I disconnected mine and removed it from the car)

- Once on the bench you can easily strip the two hoses off and split the housing.

- Fitting is obvious the reverse - remembering to attach the heater hose before pushing the housing back into the block (otherwise there's not enough room because of the scavenge pump)

- Be prepared for a lot of swearing, bruises and grazes.

Dave

Dont bother removing the TBs you can do it without .I have split the platic thermostat housing twice ( left the stubby bit in the block to avoid damaging the seal ) to change stats , you need to access from below.Dont do it on a day when you have left your patience elsewhere *eek*

Hi Roger

Its a complete B******d of a simple job.

I would highly recommend fitting the QED remote stat. Both Mark Durant and I have run this successfully since the begining of last year. Changing the stat is not a job to be done twice.

I you really want to keep the original set up then I suggest undoing the engine mounts and remove the off side one completely as it will snag on the steering column when you jack up the engine by a good few inches.

This gives better access to insert a long flexible socket set under the rollers and above the dry sump pump.

I can be done!

I got fed up of doing it after a replacement stat failed.

Go the QED route!!!!!

an alternative to the QED setup is to fit a PRRT from the Freelander kit - about £50 ish. Search techtalk for PRRT, you'll get a couple of posts and some detailed links about it.

PRRT= pressure relief remote thermostat. The stat has a much bigger bypass and will open even if too cold if the block pressure gets excessive. It also avoids having to remove the existing stat housing, if the stat has been taken out.

I've got one but not fitted it yet, reports are that it works a treat.

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD?

I hadn't seen the SELOC link David - good stuff. Also didn't realise the different stat temps, 87 or 82 deg. Other threads on BC and sites linked to don't mention this, and the part numbers refereced are all for the 87 deg stat. Don't know if it's an issue, I know if 1 200bhp car running on an 87deg stat.

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD?

Aren't you supposed to be out in a field *wink* *tongue*

I agree, it is a pain in the 🙆🏻 to do.

QED stat looks like a good solution, but does this increase the chance of thermalshock to the head etc?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!