Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Q for peter C

greg

[sensible answer mode]

I had a few requirements for mods to the chassis.

1. Now that I run the wide wheels, I need the underslung ARB - this requires bushes to be placed in the lower chassis rails.

2. I am moving to a full roll cage because of concerns at the rate of arrival of the scenery - this requires bushes to be put into the side of the passenger compartment. The sideskins need to come off for this.

3. While I was at it I decided to get the fittings added for the Watts linkage - I doubt that I will be running that for Curborough. The rear panel needs to come off for this.

4. I wanted the front mounting holes for my seats to be bushed into the chassis rail. For this, the floors would have to be removed.

5. I am having some pre-emptive strengthening done on the differential mounting.

6. I am havign a couple of minor amendments to the frame to tidy it up

Because of the level of dismantling to do this lot it became sensible to finally tackle:

7. My chassis dates from the era of poor powder coat - a lot of the chassis was developing rusty patches so I wanted to get this cleaned up and treated once and for all. For this all the skins needed to come off, the frame needs to be bead-blasted, phosphate dipped and recoated - this is what all current chassis have.

Because it was going to be stripped totally it became sensible to have new aluminium fitted.

[/sensible answer mode]

Thanks Peter for the excellent answer.

The reason I ask is that I am interest in a car that is a little "used" and could benefit from at least new side skins and a respray. Your car looked comprehensively stripped, so I though I'd ask about the amount of work. Then I though I'd asl what you are having done, as I've seen your car at it appeared ok to me (we appart from push starting it a few times for you at Brooklands).

Ta

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)