Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Feeble air impact wrench

The Don

Just tried the air impact wrench that I bought from Aldi (along with the compressor a few weeks back) on some wheel nuts and am rather disappointed that it doesn't have the grunt to shift them.

They were tight but not ridiculously so, having tightened them myself my hand this afternoon, and being able to loosen them by hand too.

One thing - I haven't got any thread sealant so the air hose attachment on the gun leaks a bit of air constantly.

Would this be enough to undermine it's torque or have I got a dud?

Thanks,

Howard

You have got it adjusted to full welly? There is a knob under the handle.

You do need a decent compressor to supply enough air flow - not just enough pressure, although if you have it wound down to one bar . . .

Any air leaks are performance losses/cost money.

Bri

Thanks - I've set the compressor's outlet pressure to 6.2 bar, as the wrench's manual states but maybe it's not enough taking the air leak into account.

Is it OK to increase pressure to say 7, or do I risk damage and/or personal injury? *redface*

11 😬

Mark - yes; I've tried it on 1-4 and there's a noticeable improvement on 4 but still not enough.

I'll try sealing the connector properly and if that doesn't maybe use the excuse of needing a 10mm hose to get a more impressive looking yellow coiled version *thumbup* *rolleyes*

I don't suppose anyone has a spare coiled 10mm air hose they'd be prepared to sell?

Cheers,

Howard

Edited by - The Don on 19 Apr 2007 21:57:36

btw my compressor (not an Aldi one) is set to about 8.4 Bar, has no problem undoing Wheel nuts

oh and check the backplate of the Wrench is tight, the four Allen keys can work loose and it severly affects performance

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 19 Apr 2007 22:28:12

Not wishing to depress you but my recently purchased Aldi air impact wrench is excellent and will undo the most stubborn nuts in a moment.

I have all manner of air tools in my factory (better quality than Aldi obviously) and they are very susceptible to internal corrosion and early failure from damp air if they aren't kept oiled.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 19 Apr 2007 23:17:53

All right, Brent, don't rub it in *tongue*

BTW can I use anything like bathroom silicone sealant to seal the thread (I don't have any PTFE tape at the mo) or must I use proper stuff?

Edited to say... I've also got some lovely orange liquid gasket. Would that do the job?

Feel free to add your view on whether I'm an utter bodger *rolleyes*

Edited by - The Don on 20 Apr 2007 08:17:44

Bummer *thumbdown* Tried all you suggest, including PTFE tape which sealed the leak beautifully *thumbup*

I was with Adrian Rham today trying different sized wheels and used my wrench on his compressor. It was still feeble (Adrian verified that compared to his wrench it doesn't sound right).

Sounds like a call to Power Craft customer service on Monday 😔

Thanks for your help.

Howard

I'm familiar with both the products you are discussing and in my experience the Aldi compressor is a first class product at a very fair price but is not up to the job of an air impact wrench (or a random orbital sander come to that). To give it any chance it needs to have all the air you can give it and more - they are very hungry. The impact wrench will drop the compressor's pressure in seconds and only the first few seconds will count. Larger bore hose is a step in the right direction but what is needed is more ccs and HP. Back to my usual theme - V8s are best. *smile*

Dry-sumped Red Supersprint

The Aldi one isn't far off the pace. It's 7 or 8 CFM (cu ft per min) and the biggest domestic comp will do 15 cfm. It doesn't have a big tank though so it will soon empty. I suspect the air guns are quoted on about 8 CFM *for their duty cycle* which is likely to be (say) 50% while you are actually unscrewing wheelnuts, so the instantaneous air consumption is likely to be 15-16CFM. As you say that will soon pull down a small tank and then the pump is on its own. A big pipe will help by having less pressure drop over its length while running. TBH the plastic spiral jobs are SFA use for any more than blowing up tyres and the like. OK with the little toytown spraygun in the kit though, I did a nice paint job on a wood lathe with mine recently. *smile*

At the price 2 compressors wouldn't be a stupid way to get to 15 CFM 😬

Try using 3/8" inside diameter pipe, Coompressed air works like a car exhaust the larger the pipe the easier it is to traval through, so you'll have more grunt/torque on the air gun with a larger pipe *thumbup* coz more air gets through for any given pressure exerted by the compressor