Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel End Float - live axle

Ade Ray

Hello All

I have been getting the occasional clonk when making left turns and the cornering forces are high. I have read some of the recent threads on this matter so when I took the car down to my brothers for its 12k service we (no actually it was Simon - I watched)changed the A frame bushes (which were minced) and then checked the axle. There is only a couple of mm of float on the rear right wheel and we thought that should be OK.

I am still getting the clonk and I am detecting a side to side motion at the back when exiting bends. Is all this likely from 2mm of float? Should I cough up the £160 for Caterham Midland to fit some shims to the half shaft? Could the wobble at the back end be anything else?

Any thoughts welcome, many thanks

Ade

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Ade,

Likely cause of the clonk is the halfshaft moving through the inner race of the wheel bearing (this happened to my car), idea.gif Solutions-new halfshaft & bearing/pop down the breakers for used/shrink a sleeve behind the bearing race to stop movement or tack weld inner race to halfshaft. the choice is yours wink.gif good luck

Expat

DON'T TACK WELD IT!! This was an early fix to this problem on Graduate race cars, and it just weaken the half shaft ensuriing it failed more rapidly.

I've had the shims fit by Caterham Midland and they've lasted two years of hard race use (just started to get clonk this weekend after jumping over Pembrey kerbs).

cskip

I spoke to someone at Caterham Midland and I am sure they said it would be a mornings work and it would be £160 +VAT. I do not know though if that was for both 1/2 shafts or just the one side I was experiencing the clonk with.

If anyone knows any better, please let us know.

Also....has anyone used or can recommend Johns Garage on the A5 which I believe is between Rugby and Towcester?? I have heard that the owner is a Caterham owner.

Ade

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent