Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo tank questions

FlymoFraser

Couple of things going round in my head at the moment that I can't find the answer to from a search, probably really stupid but here goes:

1. How does the oil get up into the tank, it is not actively pumped as far as I can see, is it just oil pressure forcing it up?

2.Why is oil level still critical with an apollo, surely any excess will simply push up into the tank, obviously if you put 5 extra ltrs in it will be too much for the tank but it surely isn't as critical as the simple wet sump set up.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

• Area Representative

Neil,

The apollo tank is not a reservoir of oil, like a dry sump tank is, but a device to remove the bubbles of air from the aerated oil.

The oil is sucked out of the sump by the oil pump. The oil is then pumped out to the oil filter. The apollo tank is plumbed into the system with a sandwich plate on the oil filter mount. The oil is pumped into the top of the apollo, and returns from the apollo at the bottom to the sandwich plate. The air that was suspended in the oil rises to the top of the apollo and bleeds back into the cam cover via the small flexi hose.

The oil in the apollo is at full running oil pressure.

When running, the tank is full of oil, with no air. If there is significant air in the tank, then oil pressure will be significantly reduced. When the engine is stopped, there is a chance that the oil from the apollo will drain back into the sump.

On startup, its normal for it to take a little longer for the oil pressure to reach normal, as the tank fills up.

Its also normal that you'll notice a slight drop in oil pressure after fitting the apollo (about half a bar)

On startup, its normal for it to take a little longer for the oil pressure to reach normal, as the tank fills up

Getting Dave Andrews to fettle the sump pick up to block oilway and flow the passages in the oil pump itself seemed to eliminate this delay on my apollo installation. But not the simplest of things to do unless reassembling an engine

malcolm