Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

High mileage

Phil

How does it effect your point of view towards buying a car.

What is the considered high mileage.

How do you think it effects the resale value.

How many miles has yours done and what engine please.

Mine is on 19,500, it is a 1700ss with history.

25,000 on a 1700SS but it had a rebuild at around 19K. It's an ex-race car and has done a lot of track days since I've owned it.

In terms of how it would effect buying one, tbh I think I'd be happy buying a car that has been used but looked after ie lots of service history/reciepts than one that does 1000miles a year in the sun and gets left in the garage for 11months.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 6 Apr 2002 20:20:11

Learned from the Ferrari Market that low mileage cars invariably cause more problems. Doing a couple of thousand miles a year and leaving the car in the garage for 6 months leads to problems with dried seals (fluid leaks) hoses that split (more fluid leaks) electrical gremlins (knackered batteries, corrosion on terminals)and in GetCarter's case Mice up the exhaust!

What you want is a car that's been used and serviced regularly and sometimes done some hard work (trackdays etc)

My car 1.6K SS 31k miles goes like a dream!

Mark

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your point of view towards mileage and the reason I have asked the question is to help me decide wether to go the hole hog and insure the car normaly rather than on a classic 5,000 a year policy, I fear that I may nock up a lot of miles with all the good weather we are having and lower the value of the car. I find it very frustrating at present watching and counting the miles, saving them for future planed days out.

Like your web site. How much of an improvement was the new rear view mirror and has it decreased your view with a passenger in the car?

KIWi

Which one

328GTS 22,000 in 4 years

F355 7,000 in a year

7 will do about 3 -5k in first year (trailered to most trackdays!)

Phil

Know what you mean about the miles, I'm having to upgrade the 355 policy otherwise I've just got to leave it in the garage until renewal which is pointless. (it was on a 5k policy but AON carry over unused miles, at least they used to but from next renewal they've stopped this!)

With Imola trip (2.5k miles) in May and then a 9 day tour of Europe in June I reckon I'll do 9k in the 355 this year

With regard to depreciation, you have to decide what you want, with lowish mileages cars like 7's and Ferrari's will hold their value, unfortunately there is a stigma attached to high mileage (undeserved in my opinion) resulting in lower values........but remember you only live once, if oyu want it to sit in the garage and look pretty then it's up to you but in a few years you'll look back and regret it!

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 6 Apr 2002 21:52:47

Thanks MARK, think you are correct and I may well have to go for the unlimited policy soon, problem being that I had to sell my VW camper for room for the 7 and I also run my everyday car an Audi Coupe and a girlfriend with all the expensive good times associated.

Girlfriend has got to go.