Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chapter and verse on MOT visible smoke ?

ECR

I know that I have seen this on the site but can't find it. My car is a 1990 model fitted with a VX16v engine and I would like to have available references from the "rule book" to point the tester to when he starts to test my car for emissions.

I have passed ok for the last 12 years on visible smoke but my regular tester has retired and next year it would be nice not to have to go through the explanation with a new man.

Ex Chairman Roger

• Support Team

Annoyingly VOSA have revamped their website and my link to the definitive document no longer works. Also the site I had a link to that had the MOT manual on it appears not to be working anymore. The best I can come up with is this site.

7FAQ has this.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

A quick search of the VOSA website came up with the link I was looking for: here. The important bit for us is in the box in the bottom right corner.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 13 Apr 2007 11:49:52

Page 7.3 is KING 🥰

As to the definition of "Visible Smoke" it seems to be a bit of a joke. I was chatting to my local MOT man last week and he said that the VOSA advice is something along the lines of: "If the smoke emitted may impair the vision of a following driver then it's a failure". So you'd need to be laying a decent smoke screen to fail if tested under visible smoke test.

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Edited by - Steve Newman on 13 Apr 2007 14:22:43