Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Converting silencer to repackable

Griff

I'm getting noisy (not far from track day max) and the exhaust isn't repackable so my choice is a new silencer or modify the existing one to make it repackable. Anyone had experience of the modification option?

Cheers,

Mike

I ve done a few. If its the Caterham bean can type cut off the outside skin with an angle grinder leaving 1" at each end to allow you to fix the new skin. Then get a local fabrictor to roll you up an ali skin. This can then be fixed with blind/sealed pop rivets or you can drill and tap the end caps. I seal the joints with high temp Silicon RTV. Pack with your sound deadening mix of your choice.

Not sure how well aluminium or the pop rivets would hold up to the temperatures at the manifold end? Thinking aloud though, wouldn't this approach be made easier by cutting a letterbox along the underside of the can (for the sake of aesthetics), replace old wadding and then rivet on a curved "patch" suitably sealed with RTV. Might save a lot of fiddling getting a long tube over the ends, all that wadding and lining up the rivet holes?

My last repackable had a removeable end plate so you pushed wadding in from one end and secure the plate back with hex screws into captive nuts. This was what I first envisaged when thinking about modifying my unit.

Griff, I go along with Rob, Have done two with aluminium sleeves, (£30 )and as the lip on the ols caterham silencers turns outwards you can just use a couple of self tapping screws to hold the sleeve in place.

They really do not get that hot and the aluminium sleeve dissapates the heat much better than a steel tube. You can easilly put your hands on the sleeve even after a track session. No need for a heat shield, and my alloy sleeve is painted with standard spray paint.

As to packing the sleeve make it very easy as you can just wrap the perf tube and then slide the sleeve over the top.

Simon

OK - convinced..!!

As you guys are fairly close, where do you get these aluminium cans made? It's the Cotswolds here - they're more familiar with tractors and old lumps of iron...

Do you use the cling film trick to hold the wadding down whilst packing? In the past I've used the "hairy" stuff from Milner which I found needed to be quite tight to work at its best.