Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

throttle bodies on x-flow??

mad max

Yes it can be done, but it wont be cheap..

TBs say £500

Linkages/filters etc £150

ECU say £600

Tank mods to prevent surge say £150

Fuel pump £100

Fule pressure regulator £50

Secondhand injectors £50

Fuel pipe £30

Mapping £120

Lumenition eye for distributor trigger £30

A set of TBs sounds exactly like carbs, its only the engines with plenums that sound naff.

There is a hefty section on converting from carbs/clockwork ignition to mapped ignition and injection in the EMS article here. It may help

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 6 Apr 2002 16:01:46

I've done a couple of mapped ignition only conversion on xflows both using Emeralds M3D, one of them to Kevin Strawbridges car, it's a little fiddly with the wiring, but pretty effective, part throttle and off-cam improves considerably making the engine much more tractable. Better economy and a rock steady idle are also benefits. Costs were around £650 which includes the ECU, throttle pot and lumenition eye for the distributor. The conversion takes about 4-6 hours to do properly.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 7 Apr 2002 08:15:29

Here I am Graham - a day late but I had to get to Curborough yesterday for a sprint. Lovely day!

Yes I went to throttle bodies, dizzyless, etc., just over a year ago. Cost about Oily's estimate. Benefits much as those claimed for 3D - very tractable (drives cleanly from 2000revs in 6th gear through to 8500+ on a 254 cam), instant throttle response and a lovely noise.

I can't comment on the 3D but if it is only 80% as good as throttle bodies at half the price then it is probably better value.

Either way is an improvement.

Barry

Roger King did a Weber Alpha 3d ignition conversion on my old 254 x-flow back in 98 and it certainly improved things. Cruising was far more pleasant, pick up much better and fuel economy improved from 18 to 22 on a decent run. Power as expected remained identical. Well worth doing.

Paul