Click here if you are having website access problems ×

That wire that melts on the solenoid

Delbert

The small thin one that is thicker than any I have at home...

anybody know what "gauge" it is 12 Amp??? 18 amp??? or higher....

Having beaten Magnetron at there own game I now need to find some heat resistant wire that fits.

If at first you don't succed Sky diving is not for you

Edited by - delbert on 11 Apr 2007 16:24:07

Might not a heatshield be an intelligent upgrade here?

Am I wrong in assuming that on the cars for which this engine was designed the solenoid and starter would have run cooler as the exhaust would have been more exposed to a bit of air cooling blast as the whole motor was mounted transversely, with the exhaust manifold at the front?

Or am I talking oot ma 🙆🏻???? *eek*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Del...

It doesn't insulate as well as fireblanket stuff but I've wrapped mine in aluminium tape...available from demon theives! Seems to have stopped the melting wire problem and should reflect back 'some' of the radiant heat from the exhaust! Might be worthwhile checking if you can hide the cable behind the starter, away from the exhaust too! I've cable tied it along the back of the starter on the engine block side to reduce the heat from the headers!

My Solenoid wire is definately less than the 27A stuff that halfrauds sell, so I'd use that if you aren't close by to a motor factors!

Coming to Cadwell sunday mate???

If you aren't in a hurry and are coming to the sprint sunday..I could have a chat with my dad and see if he has some in the garage....(he works on PSV's so he may have some heavy duty cable in the stores! And..if you are coming along what's your address..I'll post an entry ticket for you to the circuit!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Edited by - Dannyboy on 12 Apr 2007 11:27:58