Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winding Back Capiler Pistons

Allen Payne

You have to exert a force on the piston pushing it back down the bore whilst you wind it back in . You have to overcome the clutch mechanism in the self adjuster otherwise the piston and the push rod it is located on just keep turning and you get the problem you described . The clutch is there to ensure that the caliper only adjusts up to a certain line pressure , otherwise you run the risk of overadjustment at hi line pressures.

Did mine last weekend didn't take a dozen turns but once at the end it does just keep turning

Is it definately clockwise? think it was, I know it was only last week but I've forgotten already......... getting too old!

ps remove the cap on the Brake Master Cylinder, it might help it go back more easily

Edited by - F355GTS on 5 Apr 2002 22:24:03

First time I did this it took about a hundred turns plus blisters, then my brother was shown a trick by a Ford mechanic, that enables you to do it in half a turn. Apparently you twist it 45 degrees in one direction and then in the same movement you change direction and it goes straight in. He could do it first time, but I just couldn't quite get the technique right and gave up. Apparently its all in the wrist movement Oooeeer !