Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7" VHPD silencer

Mathew Rimmer

Talking to Caterham parts today, they tell me that this has an additional bracket that the 6" does not have that connects to a full cage.

Can't quite picture what this would look like.

Is it absolutely necessary on account of the weight or will the single floor support suffice ?

Am hopefully going this route as a) its cheaper than the 6" bizarrely and b) I thought I had this already so it give me renewed optimism of passing noise tests.

There is an extra bobin that bolts to the bracket on the exhaust tailpipe. This is bolted to a length of tubing with the other end of the tubing using the rear cage fixing near the door sill. I have seen the 7" VHPD fitted to cars without a cage so it can be done.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Support Team

The extra bracket for mine fits nicely in a cardboard box in the garage. 😬

The silencer is certainly no light weight and mine does seem to have dropped a bit, to the point where the marshals at Llandow thought it might have come loose *eek*.

I'll replace it with a Raceco when the packing is mostly gone - I've had it about 18 months now and it has survived a season of sprinting plus track and road use.

It is a bargain when purchased with the 4-2-1 headers as it is only an extra £100 over the price of the headers.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've had a 7" one on my car for 3 years now, without the extra bracket. Only issue I've had is the collector brackets broke, think this was due to me grounding the silencer on some curbs at a trackday.

The packing won't go anywhere, as its wire wool I believe and mine isn't re-packable. Its also no nosier now than when it was fitted *cool*

Hyperion came up with this and Caterham then "adopted" it - I believe you can buy it from Caterham. It's a race part really - used on racecars to stop the exhaust parting company with the car if the rubber mounting breaks. This happened on a Hyperion racecar,cost them the race, so they developed the part. Hyperion think that for road use it may be a bit OTT - but I may ask them to fit one in any case to protect my investment in my Raceco. As Mark says, it bolts to one of the cage mounting points.