Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Noise From Rear End

c7trp

• Support Team

Have a mysterous noise from my De-dion 7.

Getting a loud 'rattle' - like a long metal bar hitting somthing. The noise occurs mostly when cornering, but also when pulling away in too-higher gear. Its like somthing is resonating. Can do it at parking speeds, but not allways.

I've checked the bushes at the rear. All seem fine, only very slight play in the a-frame bushes. New rear shockers and trailing arms.

Front end recently lubricated and wouldn't seem to be the cause as the noise appears to come from towards the rear of the car.

You can't feel the rattle through the transmission, steering or your bum!

Any thoughts?

I fondly-remember an episode of early (1985) mountain-bike ownership. Had a rattle - couldn't pin it down. Rode down the road at the back of my parents house, staring at the rear-mech. Just couldn't figure it out. BANG! I'd ridden into the bonnet of a parked transit van... Slight damage to the bike. Later worked out that it was the keys in my pocket that were causing the rattle... *redface*

- but quite possibly relevant... *wink*>

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Two thoughts

1. I have a broken popper on my boot cover that makes a sound that could convince you that something very large was about to fall off the car at certain speeds.

2. If you have replaced the trailing arms check them for scuffmarks around the brake calipers, clearances are pretty tight.

• Support Team

Can't see any contact marks on the rear suspension.

The 'size' of the noise sounds like a big bit of kit - de-dion tube, rear gearbox mounting or something like that.

I've taken everything out of the boot, and strapped the spare wheel on to the carrier.

The noise only occurs when steering, suggesting something is moving at the back?

Myles - snap - I hit a parked landrover head on whilst trying to find a rattle on my push bike 😳 Landrover fine, pride dented, knackered front wheel *redface*

ol' days mode>

• Support Team

Cheers all,

Quick blat this AM suggests the noise is worse 😳 But then that could just be me worrying about it more....

Time to jack it up and take another look

I too rode off the road, hit a tree root and broke my collar bone (only a couple of years ago) while watching new (push bike) gears and chain in action to make sure they were ok. Not to be recommended at 22mph. Helmet saved my skull (and possibly life) as it was seriously stoved in !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

• Support Team

FIXED IT! *smile*

After driving around with various bits removed (spare, bonnet, boot floor, etc) I traced it to the FRONT near side lower ball joint binding 😳

1 Squirt with WD40 and all is gone, and the steering is much lighter too! The ball joint feels OK, it was just full of crap and binding.

Also found handbrake cable was vibrating on the top of the diff ( *thumbup* millsn) - so fixed two noises in one *cool*

Thanks for all your help and apologies for misleading you all with my crap description of the problem

Edited by - Tim Pollard on 9 Apr 2007 20:05:52

I fondly-remember an episode of early (1985) mountain-bike ownership. Had a rattle - couldn't pin it down. Rode down the road at the back of my parents house, staring at the rear-mech. Just couldn't figure it out. BANG! I'd ridden into the bonnet of a parked transit van... Slight damage to the bike. Later worked out that it was the keys in my pocket that were causing the rattle...

- but quite possibly relevant...wink smiley>

LOL 😬 The exact thing happened to me donkeys years ago on my road bike. Ended up over the bonnet of a neighbour's Sierra 😳