Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham built "lotus 6' ????

Ray Gamma

Has some interesting details but god knows why they entered it as a Lotus Six.....maybe something to do with the age regs?

It has Lotus Seven S2 type chipcutter grille (though they newer had those built in lights) and round profile rear wings like an S2, but it's obviously a Caterham....very strange.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

I seem to have read somewhere that if just a few bits are of the original car, then in some countries you may get the old registration and be allowed to race it in it's old class.

The ad says Caterham 1995, but isn't it a tad pricey?

There are quite a few 'restored' cars in historic racing that have hardly any of the original car left, in some cases no more then the chassis plate and an inch or two of metal. And more than one wrecked racer has been rebuilt with a new chassis and then the wreck rebuilt as well, leading to arguments about identity.

As far as the current Carrera Panamericana is concerned, they are happy to accept brand new replicas, with no pretence of them being restored historic cars.

The car for sale is a purpose-built racer with a BDA engine, so it would not have been cheap to build and prepare.

Alan

The existence of chance is everything and nothing whilst the greatest achievement is the living of life.

This car I believe was a BDR HPC from caterham, it was then rebuilt as a Lotus Six replica for a guy called Chris Bibb to do the Carrera Pan America some years ago. The wings and nose were ali and the engine was A John Wilcox 200bhp+ BDR. As stated above the carrera Pan America are not to fussy with how accurate the replica is but I think the organisers almost didn't let it run. There was a documentory A number of years ago about the Pan America with this car in it. I have seen this car in the flesh a few years back at Le Mans and gave the guy a hand with a break down. It is a lovely car with nice history.

If I had the money I would not hesitate

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - Revin Kevin on 9 Apr 2007 10:41:11

• Leadership Team

FWIW, I noticed this car for sale over one year ago in Classic Car - a private sale. Clearly it is not 'flying out of the showroom'.

I was tempted at the time, but thought it too expensive compared to a 'normal' caterham.