Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Play on Quick Release Steering Boss

RobinW

I have some noticeable play on my quick release boss. It wasn't there when new. Is this normal?

The play is both rotational (maybe a deg or two in either direction) and when rocking (left hand forward, right hand back etc), just as though the bolts that fasten the wheel to the boss weren't tight.

As far as I can tell, there's no play on the steering shaft, only on the boss.

You can try wrapping some PTFE tape into the circumferential-groove. It does help.

You might need to build it up over a period of time.

I was pleasantly-surprised when I awoke my 7 from hibernation (on Friday) to find that the play wasn't as bad as I remember. Neither was the softness in the brake pedal. Or the play in the rack itself. And the engine seemed to pull like a train.

I'm sure it will deteriorate with further use though... *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I think they all do this. I had mine replaced under warranty and the new one was just as bad.

I pack the splines with grease on a regular basis which helps, but the end is greasy when you remove the wheel.

If you do this ensure that the wheel seats fully onto the boss as the grease can ouse out into the hole and stop it from fully engaging on both collers.

S7MAD

Thanks for all the info guys. It doesn't make very encouraging reading.

It's actually a black Lifeline one, it's done 2,800 miles and it only gets used to steer the car! To be honest I don't really need the quick release because it's a CSR and there's plenty of room. I originally specced one because I'm only 5' 8" and I knew that I'd have the seat fully forward.

I'd thought about greasing it to make feel a little better, but I reckon I ought to call CC anyway. The car's only a month out of warranty.

Robin

What is involved in changing from Lifeline to Racetech ?

Assume splined column is matched to boss - is the splined part removeable from the cockpit, or is it column out ?

Any idea of approx price ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

OTOH, my racetech QR boss has been on my car for over 5 years / 20k miles and is absolutely fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

I've had the usual wear trouble with my LifeLine boss. I've dismantled it and filed very small chamfers on the spline ends. This reduces the amount of wear as the boss is slid on. The clue is the small pieces of swarf that collect on the splines.