Click here if you are having website access problems ×

90 Degree Speedo drive

Taran Las

Can anyone suggest a supplier for one of these items (type 9 box). Caterham suggest £40 + £20 for a cable to match. I know I'm a tight A***ed Welshman but I think this is bluddy expensive. Anyone bought one recently ?

Ta!

Phil Owen.

Dave,

That was quick - thanks. Has Anyone managed a repair to one of these devices? I've bust the baseplate off the end. Can they be successfully repaired? Would Araldite be strong enough ?

Phil Owen.

Edited by - Taran las on 5 Apr 2002 11:05:20

Edited by - taran las on 5 Apr 2002 11:22:28

The word that was used when I picked the car up was actually 'leaking', I have driven it home and to work this morning and as far as I'm concerned I will retract my can't drive fast statement, if it breaks they'll fix it.. As for being a tart I would refer to your statement 'I won't have to FOLLOW you', says it all really, you never even imagined you'd be able to get past wink.gif, by the way I'd rather drive slowly in a seven than not drive it at all teeth.gif, I can't remember the last time it was working.

Do you want a passenger ride sunday??, you bring the ashtray.

Edited by - Buda on 5 Apr 2002 12:04:44

Thanks for the invitations gents (most kind!) but I'll take the opportunity on Sunday to get my car going. Thanks for the defence Mav. Now will you leave my thread alone so someone can respond with solutions to the Speedo drive problem wink.gif

Edited by - taran las on 5 Apr 2002 13:34:04

Phil there have been several of these requestes recently. Try looking through the search option if you haven't tried already. Otherwise Chester Autoparts (Sealand Road behind Office World) may have the parts you are looking for

Taran, I believe the 90 degree drive is a V.D.O item installed on V.W Polo and Golf models of previous years, may be worth a look around a breakers yard, I had the base plate where it fits to the gearbox break also, but with the skills available through Air New Zealand Engineering workshops, it's all fixed better than new and still working fine, have fun Nigel.

Thanks for all the help. Soldered the base plate back on - one word of caution the casting is zinc based - it melts very quickly! Speedo works OK now (but for how long I don't know).

Once again Thanks guys (and gals).

Phil Owen.

SWJB,

If you can disconnect the speedo from the back of the gauge and drive forward you should be able to tell if the cable is turning. If it isn't it could be the drive or a broken cable. Access is not too bad from underneath on a DD car.

Phil Owen.

Thanks Phil. I can turn the cable from the top (after disconnection from the head); so it's one of the two. I shall just have to gird my loins and get underneath. I have a cycle computer fitted, so I'm not too concerned.

Steve B

• 3 weeks later...

I knew I shouldn't have re-used the circlip that holds the flange to the gearbox the last time it uncliped itself but now it's dropped off on the road. (still I saved 10p blush.gif)

Does anyone know what size circlip it is, from memory it's around 19mm but I'm not even sure if it's metric or imperial.

Thanks

Paul

"I had a car like that before the war" confused.gif