Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which seats for ...

greg

Dear All,

I'm thinking of new seats:

- The bench ones are good, but I am too short, so need a cusion! also I'd like a head rest.

- The old type leather seats are nice, but leaves me with thigh ache after a long drive.

- The new leather (s type?) seats look ok, with headrests and thigh support but I think I read somewhere they are heavy.

- Lastly the (GF) Tillets style seats look nice, but are they cumfy for a long (touring) drive - the SHMBO accept them ?

What would people suggest ?

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Thanks Alex, I was look at picies of your car - are these the ones you use ?

Yes that was a typo. Sorry.

I might not be in a possition to wait - as I am thinking of another car that has a bench seat - I'd look a bit stupid driving it with a cussion !

For me the Tillet seats are great. I've had a couple of people who weren't comfy but most people are very surprised how nice they are to sit in. It depends how big you are. It appears that if you are over 95kilos you may find them a bit tight such that you cant wiggle about and may become uncomfortable.

On the plus side they do sit lower in the car by about 75mm which feels strange when you hop from one car to another. Car feels much more spacious. The base of the seat almost touches the floor so you cant get much lower! Also helps keep helmet below roll bar.

I tried the S type seats in the showroom and found the thigh/leg support to be too high, pressure on legs may become noticeable during driving. Knees almost touching the steering wheel, forward vision starting to get disrupted by the top of the windscreen. By the way I'm not that tall (5'11").

BC

I'm even shorter 5'6", don't find any problem with the new type s seat, have spent 4 plus hours at one go with no problems, my daughter fell a sleep on the way back from bristol at the weekend so they must be cumfy (if youre 9) - I think, being my height, the tillet seats might sit you a little too low down as I find the present position is just right where elbows are concerned (i.e. centre tunnel and door sill).

Depends where it is Alex wink.gif

I've got Tillets now 7 find them V comfortable altho exiting the car is even more ungainly than before.

The other half has taken to wearing tights rather than stockings if she knows that she's got to enter or exit the vehicle so it's not all good news.

Edited by - AVES on 5 Apr 2002 12:47:02

Agree entirely about the tillets, they look like they're are going to be really uncomfortable but every body who has sat in them (ranging from my 16st 6'4 dad, to a delightful slight 5'3 air hostess) have remarked how great they are.

They look brilliant and it doesn't matter if they get wet.

Buy them!

Nick

Thanks Gents,

It seems that the Tillets are quite comfy, and the new leathers are lighter than I thought - no nearer a decision.

Out of interest how heavy are the GF vs CF ones ?

Also am I right in thinking the runners are heavy ?

And finally has anyone fitted them with the Honey Comb Crash Floor bits in ?

Aparently the CF and GF Tillet seats are about the same weight, I think Arnie is using GF ones as they are cheaper, weigh about the same and he's painted them anyway so the CF doesn't matter.

The supplied spacers are designed to raise the seat ~12mm to allow for the honeycomb floor.

The passenger seat is fixed static on very light ali sections, the drivers seat is on steel runners which are heavy. If you dont mind loosing the front/rear adjustment you could fix them the same way as the passenger seat.

BC

Is there a leight wieght runner out of a herald or something suitably old ? As I am quite happy to bolt it, but others might not be. What about Oval holes or will these be too week ?

ta

Forgot to mention that the passenger side is a swine to fit because you cant slide the seat forward to see just where the bolts are popping through from below and the holes were't quite in the right place.

The aluminium sections are bolted to the base of the seat which has captive nuts formed into the base. Some large plastic washers are supplied which allow you to tilt the seat back relative to the ali section (which you'll need to do to clear the FIA petty strut). Then the seat is dropped into the car and you have to muck about under the car pushing the bolts through from below. The ali sections have riv nuts in, unfortunately one of mine started to spin so I had to replace it with a nut which was very fiddly.

BC