Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Black silicon sealant

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Is black silicon sealant available, and if so any pointers on where?

Now that I'm finally refitting all my newly powder coated interior panels it would be a better job if I could seal the necessary edges with black silicon instead of the usual translucent.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Steve - do you mean something such as one of the Wurth products *confused* I'm already up to my eyeballs in "DumDum" which I'm pasting between the chassis tubes and the panels!

Stu.

Stu, Dum Dum is good stuff but that stays like putty for years, maybe for ever. I got a material called Sintofer in France, it was sold as a car sealant and they also sold underseal etc under the same brand, the stuff was not silicone based and behaved quite a lot like thick underseal though it appeared to be oil resistant. There are large blobs of it stopping rainwater going up your leg when you drive my 7, and somewhere in France there is a 2CV with an obviously handmade and welded-in floorpan stuck together with the stuff. Anything that reduces the time I have to spend grinding welds smooth is a bonus. 😬

It's good gear. *wink*

here will give you the spec sheet. Isn't the net great? *smile* Sadly it's in French but it's a polyurethane based body joint sealer ("joint carrosserie") which is made for exactly this purpose. Black and white versions exist.

I'm sure the equivalent in UK is available.

I much prefer it to silicone which is the Devil's snot. For a start the working time is great and you can play with it for longer. It even responds to the wet finger trick. Jesus though, wear gloves or you will have black hands for ever. *redface*

• Leadership Team

Rob, on my car there was nothing used between the chassis tubes and the skin other than some sealant around the lower (floor mostly) joins where water ingress is likely, and a few other limited areas. I'm using a thin film of Dum Dum to isolate the chassis tubes from the panels with a view to slowing the corrosive action and preventing the annoying vibrations that appear over time. The sealant, I need is for the obvious leak areas! Maybe I'll avoid silicon then - possibly something such as Sikaflex 291 would be the most effective?

Stu.