Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

MoT problem 2: emissions from K series 1.8 supersport

GTD

My engine is an EU3 1.8 k series supersport (2002 car) with 52mm tb. However the ECU is from the original 1.6 engine. I'm not very technical, so apologies for lack of precision!!

The MoT testers failed me on emissions, so we refitted the catalytic exhaust, but it is still failing. The garage I use is telling me that the engine is not running smoothly enough and at low revs is pumping too much fuel through, at higher revs they thnk is is running too lean. The head is absolutely standard from the original 1.6.

Possible things I have thought about:

1. The fuel regulator is still the 1.6 version with a gentle squeeze - would the proper 1.8 be better?

2. Would a 1.8 ECU be better

3. Is there anything other than fit an Emerald to be done?

here

I'm in pretty much the same position (MoT failure only on emissions with standard 1.8K ECU, but DVA Power K13A upgrade - verniers, cams, 52mm throttle body on standard plenum) and would also appreciate the same advice. Would rather not spend out on an Emerald at precisely this moment, though it is in the plan sometime later in the year, but I would like to get it through an MoT before I miss too many blatting opportunities in the spring and summer!

Yes - the cat would normally still be required to pass the emissions.

Having said that, I managed to squeek past the limits without a cat on my car

(Emerald/DTHTBs/ported/cams etc. 1.6K giving 170bhp) This year I refitted my old exhaust (with cat) and the tester said that my emissions reading was zero!