Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobilisers

bl0498

The Vecta Shadow immobiliser on my 98 Scholarship Vx1600 8v failed last week midway through a hillclimb event. It turns out that the Vecta Shadow is now old hat. Caterham don't want to know and the Vecta installer is suggesting I abandon the Vecta. Any ideas as to what to replace the immobiliser with one that provides a reasonable level of protection for the car but is reliable?

If your insurance company doesn't insist on the immobiliser (the 3 different ones I've used to insure my 7 don't) then a removeable steering wheel and battery master switch are probably at least as effective (and more reliable). You feel a bit of a prat walking into the pub holding your steering wheel though...

Mike

I agree with Mike - the removable steering wheel will prevent all but the determined thief who turns up with a trailer and even the immobiliser wouldn't stop this guy. Of course the real professional may carry a spare steering wheel!!

Tracker might be a more expensive piece of mind, but that doesn't prevent it getting half-inched in the first place - it just means you might get it back.

Downside with Tracker is that you need to know that your car has been stolen. No good on say a long business trip!

The RAC have a new system that is an alarm taht triggers a tracker type system. Car gets nicked, the alarm monitor compamny call you or someone, and ask if its gone!

Really good system. Around £400 plus monitoring fee.

Tony Stattersfield

A thief doesn't need to have a spare steering wheel or trailer to pinch a wheelless 7. Whilst unlikely to have a ------- on them, these cost less than a fiver, so although the scenario may be unlikely, a quick release steering wheel is not really much of an anti-theft device.

PS - is it me, or has the font changed?

If your insurance company don't mind then throw the immobiliser as far as you can into the nearest field. Let's face it if someone really wants to steal a 7 it's not usually for a joy ride. It's usually for export or similar. So on the grand scheme of things they won't just drive it away. So the immobiliser would get removed at some point. So you might as well not bother.