Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump Baffle

SimB

I'm about to remove the dreaded sump foam and have decided to give it a try running without foam and with oily's gasket modification. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with;

1) Does the baffle plate (the bit of bent aluminium that holds the foam to the oil ladder) go back even without the foam?

2) What's the torque for the baffle nuts? I've got a figure of 12Nm for the oil pickup bolts - I guess it would be about the same?

Cheers,

Simon

yes and

yes should be about right

This may sound simple but remember that they go in at an angle as the block is canted over. The first time I did one I was trying to get them in vertically and wound up cross threading one of the bolts 😳

Grant Taylor - OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

Visit the Golden Jubilee website

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 2 Apr 2007 12:32:53

• Area Representative

Just spotted this thread. I am doing the same thing at the mo, so thanks for the torque setting.

Does anyone know whether the "o" ring on the oil pick-up pipe should be changed every time the pipe is removed from the block? I'm thinking Challenger disaster 😳

Cheers

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Steve,

Yes this was my first time dropping the sump so proceeding very steadily. I inspected the O ring on the oil pickup and it looked in good condition, so I smeared some fresh oil around it and reused it. I'm sure somebody will be round shortly to tell me that was a bad thing to do *eek*

Just finished - very nervous cranking her for the first time after the work!

Cheers,

Simon

As long as the o ring is in good condition & it gives a positive fit it'll be OK.

The baffle plate does need to be replaced & also checked to see whether it is starting to crack/break-up.

If you look at the bottom of the pick-up it has 3 pips in it to allow it to just touch the bottom of the sump. To allow adequate oil into the pick-up punch 3 upward creases into the pick-up between these pips. I used a big screwdriver!

• Area Representative

Simon - My first time too! I guess that makes two sump virgins in the same weekend 😬

Mick Day - Many thanks for the tips I'll add some grooves as suggested. The "O" ring looks ok so I'll risk it. I'll refit the baffle plate but not the foam.

Cheers everyone *thumbup*

visit Carrotland.co.uk