Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Filter

SimB

Doing an oil change today and I can't for the life of me remove the filter with the usual chain wrench (I didn't do this one up *confused*). The serated edge of the wrench is making a nice mess of the filter case! Any hints - afraid of applying to much pressure.

Cheers

Simon

Make sure you're undoing anticlockwise *rolleyes*

Clean the filter with something to remove all grease & oil. Clean the chain as well. Move the chain wrentch as far up to the filter head as possible & then try again.

If that fails go back to the middle of the filter & compress the filter enough to shorten the wrench by 1 tooth.

If still not budging wrap something non-slip around the filter (the stuff one puts on the dashboard to stop things sliding around springs to mind) & try again nearer the head of the filter.

If this fails then drill a hole through the filter about half way along; put something through to act as a tommy-bar; position the chain wrentch at the head of the filter & heave.

I always have this problem too - and as it's me who fitted the filter I know that it was only done up hand tight. I have tried strap type wrenches and chain type wrenches but the only thing I can get to work is the good old screwdriver hammered through the filter body. Last time I changed it, I thought even this was going to fail. I had a bent screwdriver and great big rips in the side of the filter before it finally decided to let go.

What am I doing wrong?

When I fit it I always make sure the thread is clean and apply a thin coat of oil to the seal as recommended, but the buggers always refuse to come off without a fight.

This signature intentionally left blank

Do you try to undo it when it is hot (so the oil runs out of the sump nicely with all the debris), or cold ?

Perhaps it would move better cold to crack the seal, then hand tighten, warm engine, drain oil, then undo it for removal ??

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

Bl**dy marvellous suggestion!

For the first time ever I have removed an oil filter without having to drive a screwdriver through the body and gashing my hand on the torn metal.

Simply loosen it while cold!

I also have to thank you for the pics you took at Brands Hatch. I was immediately in front of you for the parade lap and so you took lots of photos of my car

This signature intentionally left blank

Anyone tried K&N oil filters here?

From the site: "Each of our canister type automotive and marine oil filters comes with a 1” nut welded to the top of the canister so they can be easily wrenched-off with a standard tool."

Eivind

Biggest issue is that people overtighten them fitting them.

They should only be hand tight, and should be easy to take off.

I use a filter wrench with three prongs that clamps the sides, and tightens up as you remove the filter similar to this here. Never fails.

A strap is just as good, as long as the filter is clean.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!