Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Stuck clutch cable

Fathead

Got back to cornwall today and had the first drive of the seven for 3 months 😬.

My dad has taken it out a couople of times to keep the battery charged. He mentioned the clutch seemed to be slipping sometimes.

When i got in the clutch seemed really stiff and sure enough when pressing on a bit the clutch sometimed slipped, pretty strange as the clutch was changed last year and only done 1000miles since or so (thanks John H).

Turns out the clutch cable had somehow pretty much got gunked up in the cabling and was hadly moving and keeping the clutch a bit engaged. Changed the cable (had a spare *smile*) and its all fine again. Anyone else ever had a clutch cable get stuck up like this??

Tom The most southerly uk blatter

😬Yellow 1.6 Supersport 😬 Photos here

My clutch cable runs through the primary exhaust pipes, my exhaust exits on the drivers side, and after 18 months the cable was very stiff when cold, only when the engine bay had warmed up did it would free itself. I changed my clutch cable last year, and it made all the difference.

When I checked the old one, the outer case of the cable had suffered some heat damage, despite being covered in heat wrap, as a consequence the outer material had restricted the movement of the inner cable.

I reckon a change of cable every year as part of the service is a wise move.

Injected with TOYOTA DNA