Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What to polish the exhaust with

Dickie Normuss

The primaries and collector need a good polish to remove the winter tarnish. Last time I did it we used a friends a bench grinder with a cloth type wheel and a 'bar' of compound, I have neither. Is there a DIY, i.e. drill mounted, equivalent? What polishing stuff do I need?

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

• Area Representative

ric - if it's just a bit dull, Solvol Autosol and elbow grease will do the job. If it's gold/brown/purple though, you'll probably need to remove some metal. Welder's Pickling Paste aka Brent's Nasty Bastard Pink Stuff is good, or fine wet and dry followed by Scotchbrite followed by Solvol also works.

But (as I found out after doing my own) professional polishing is only about £40 odd and they'll get a mirror finish that you'll struggle to achieve on your own.

Crudders

• Leadership Team

Also available from Frost's here part D205

You can put it on a hand held drill, but as you only have 2 hands, it is so much easier on a desk mounted machine, either a clamp for the drill or a grinder, which can be had quite cheaply from B&Q etc...

Michael.

Mine has certainly started to look "rusty" and last w/end I tried a cheap cleanup.

Halford's sell a Hammerite gel rust remover. Claiming it will remove rust and bring back clean metal, over time - also harmless to paint.

I guessed it would perform like an mild version of a welder's pickling compound. So for under a fiver I bought a pot and gave my less than perfect exhaust a good rub down. Left it for 15 minutes, repeat the process and all the blotch marks came off.

It does not remove the need for elbow grease and will not create a mirror finish where there isn't one but it certainly cleaned up my exhaust's blotch marks.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Progressively finer grades of wet emery paper work well for me - starting at 400 grade and working down to 1500. It took about an hour to take a completely dull (matt) brown exhaust to a near mirror finish. I only did the straight pipes outside the skin though - I have the standard exhaust, so no difficult 4:2:1 pipes to work round.

Steve