Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series head gaskets

Lucky Steve

Is there a history of head gasket problems on older K series engines? I have a 1995 1400 and I have heard through a mechanic friend that Rover had a lot of failures after about 25k miles. A modified gasket solves the problem. Most Rover tin-tops with K's are way over that now, so most that have failed have done so, but my seven only has 16k on it so far, so do I have a problem to come?

I was also recommended to get an 8mm king lead as these take more punishment/electrical load than the others and are a regular source of problems on Rovers. Any experience of problems there?

Cheers

I too heard about these failures having bought a 1400 SS with 37,000 on the clock! It never gave a problem in this dept (actually in any bar the MEMS ECU). It was still going really well at 44,000 miles (133 BHP on RR) when I removed it to fit an 1800 'K' special (Special K ?).

You should be OK if you keep the coolant system in good order (good fluid, no air locks etc.) but should the temps ever start to rise then it'd be worth getting it looked at sooner rather than later as if they fail, it can mean that the head would need skimming to get it all to fit back together properly.

In the event of you wanting/needing to replace it, the Mike Satur ones are a good alternative.

I hold the opinion that the Mike Satur gasket is inferior to the current OE Rover item. The silicone bead *does* pierce the gasket, which is good, but nobody really has experience of running a Satur gasket for 20,000-60,000 miles. The Rover item has been changed in significant detail of the silicone track and there is now no reason not to run one.