Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Scuttle-chassis corrision

TomB

I got some paint bubbling on the RHS of the car were the scuttle meets the bottom ali skin (bottom of screen stantions/ master key area). I had a look in last night and took of a very rusty steel bar that presumably holds the scuttle down. This has now been derusted and hammerited to be refit tonight. I cleaned the ali channel the steel piece sits in with wire brush & coated it liberally in waxoil. I tried to prise up the ali channel to get waxoil in but not sure I could get it much in.

Is the only way to adequately sort this out & stop it getting worse, to remove the scuttle and treat the chassis underneath? Will the sorting of the steel bar help reduce it, or do I really need to get under the scuttle? If so, how do I remove the scuttle?

Another thing, where the scuttle meets the side skin, the seam shows as a black strip, like a crack in the paint has formed between the skins. Would it me worth trying to close the crack with some silicon, or just use some touch up paint.

I guess some corrision like this is inevitable on a 10 year car, but its a bit annoying! I should probably learn to accept its little flaws, but I notice them so its annoying!