Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow manifold bolts/ studs question

Phil P

I am about to take the manifold off to paint it with some high temp paint. I've noticed that the manifold on my xflow is mounted with hex drive cap head bolts, as opposed to studs & nuts.

I'm considering getting some copper gaskets from Roger King & was wondering whether studs or bolts should be used to mount the manifold?

Thanks

Phil

Swings & roundabouts, studs help position the manifold and should corrosion occur give you two bites of the cherry (either the nut comes off or the stud comes out).

However, corrosion is usually limited to the thread that sticks out, and the space is limited so cap head screws make sense, they are also very unlikely to be over tightned and rounded off like nuts.

On my xflow I opted for a mix, a couple of studs (one each end)for location and the rest stainless cap head screws.

Regards

allen

I had a hex head bolt from the "twin pipe" centre section drop out the other day.

Made the car sound like a tractor!

After trying several local spares shops for hex bolts I had to eventually opt for a stud and nut.

It was as I attempted to fit the new stud to the twin part that I found out why I have hex bolts.

The stud fitted the head OK, but with the manifold in place the nut was touching the pipe part, making it impossible to rotate.

A bit of musical bolts/studs sorted it in the end.

You just dont get this sort of challenge with all these new fangled modern engines wink.gif

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=green>

The original (cast iron!) Ford exhaust manifold on my 68 Xflow was held on with (Ford) hex bolts and spring washers. When I finally felt I could cope with an extra 3 or 4 bhp (!) and fitted a 4 branch it was easier to fit this with studs on the central two holes as these located the whole thing whilst it was bolted up. The studs came from an old BMC A series head I think and brass nuts should be used with steel washers. The outer pipes are still fitted with the original bolts.

Thanks for your comments guys. Hadn't considered clearance for the nuts aganist the tubes on the centre section. Looks like I'll be going for an assortment of studs/ brass nuts & hex bolts - all with plenty of coppaslip!

Phil

On my x flow with competition exhaust I have used caphead bolts with copper gaskets, supplied by RK. On the centre pipe it may not be possible to use a locking washer due to the proximity of the pipe. I also found that the caphead bolt in this fixing was of a slightly smaller head dimension for the same reason. The copper gaskets from RK are excellent value for money and unlike other types can be reused a few times. I also use a small amount of Loctite on the bolts when fitting.

John (E)

Interesting that you used loctite on the bolts.

I considered this but thought the heat would stop it working.

I checked my bolts again this morning and one had come slightly loose.

This is after only a couple of 100 miles.

I have now tightened it to an approx torque of "FT"

Can you let me know the "part no" or type/make of thread lock you used.

Cheers

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=green>