Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

3rd party Ventilated Discs?

F355GTS

I'm sure I read on here that somebody had found an alternative supply for the discs for front AP big brakes?

I know my SLR was fitted with some grooved discs which the prevoious owner said were Tarox but they don't list one in the correct size (254 x 18) and seem to have gone to the 'look good rather than perform market'

I know AP will not sell direct but does anybody know where to get some other than Caterham?

ta

Mark

Looked around recently . . did a fair bit of trawling through parts catalogs and there's nothing with the correct PCD, offset and diameter. Pug 205 are the closest - a few mm smaller (c.247 IIRC) and 20mm wide, and people do use them. 2 litre Cougar rear discs(4 stud) are also pretty close , the correct diameter (within a mm or so) and they're 20mm thick but I think the offset's a bit off - may be usable though. Datsun 280 are the right size and offset but they're 5 stud :-(

I managed to secure some used AP discs so gave up my quest for a cheap alternative.

I'm interested in this too. I noticed when rolling down Paddock Hill Bend under light braking on Sat that my discs are slightly warped. I'm not sure how that could have happened as they're pretty new? Anyway, I also have the upgraded AP 4 pots on the front and will need some new discs at some point. I was thinking myself if there were any possible alternatives?!

Cheers Angus *thumbup* . .. . Thanks for that fuel tank BTW. I've been meaning to contact you about that disc but just haven't got round to it - flat out chasing up suppliers and organising this and that. I'll give you a call later in the week and sort out when would be convenient for picking it up.

prs, they are not AP disc. They a manufactured by a guy who makes bespoke discs. I, do not want to get involved with a bulk buy. What I will do is sort all the details out. and tell the bloke that there is a fair market for them and work his price out as such. Then I will post his details here so people can deal directly with him. easier all round I think.

Will keep you posted *thumbup*

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

• 7 months later...

Did anyone ever make a ventilated disc kit for the Triumph GT6 ? If so then they would probably fit a Caterham. My Crossflow is fitted with solid GT6 discs and all we had to do to make them fit was turn about 1/4 of an inch off the diameter. We went for them as they fitted Alcon calipers a bit better than the standard Herald/Spitfire disc because they are slightly thicker and we could turn them to a perfect diameter to match the Alcons. Offset is the same as a Herald/Spitfire disc though

Edited by - Graham Perry on 12 Nov 2007 19:16:55

Graham thanks for the tip, I'm investigating Capri 2.8i discs, which are proposed for the GT6, I've e-mailed a couple of suppliers for dimensions, they're much cheaper than hte AP product!, std vented are around £40 a pair on ebay *eek* or EBC grooved and drilled around £120 a pair

Mark

Mark , 2.8 injection discs have a larger centre hole, require re-drilling to mount on the hubs and then the steering arms need spacing out to stop the track rod end boots rubbing.....oh and you also have to space the caliper away from it's mount ...unless you want to machine the hub, first checking for caliper clearance against the rear of the wheel mounting flange.....apart from that.....they fit! 😬

Brian.