Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Pumps

Pierson Broome

Having had the second brand-new Facet silvertop competition fuel pump fail on my car in the middle of France (c.12 breakdowns between Calais and Dijon...), I wondered if anyone else had any experiences of alternative pumps?

This is something of a dichotomy - many friends have exactly the same pump and it just goes on & on & on - other folks say they wouldn't touch a Facet ever again (now my own prefered feelings...) - so what to try now? Any advice out there?

Pierson

pierson.broome@bt.com

I'm on my third Facet (red top) pump, and have been at a loss as to why they keep failing. So when my last one packed up on Friday, I took it apart. I was shocked to find an enormous (relatively) piece of crap blocking the outlet. Whether this is an accumulation of debris over the months or I picked up the dregs of a tank in one of the villages between London and Le-mans I know not. In future, at the slightest hint of trouble I will be dismantling the pump and having a look. It's a drag, but not as big a drag as being without the car.

Mine is pre-filtered, and there is also a filter in the pump, which I didn't realise was there until last Saturday. Both filters seemed to be intact, so I'm going to try and find out what the various filtering tolerances are. It may not be a fun job mad.gif

If this one fails then I won't buy a Facet again. tongue.gif

This year we have experienced a 100% failure rate with Facet red and silver top pumps that we have sold! Needless to say, we no longer feel able to supply them. The best alternative I've found for highly tuned engines is made by Holley and could be described as overkill, being intended for American V8s. It is a bit more expensive than a Facet, but not too much. For less powerful units it might be worth trying the Facet solid state pumps (but use the competition version).

Purely by chance, I found out today that Facet are going to modify the internals of the red and silver top pumps - I wonder why? Unfortunately, it seems this won't be available until next year.

Very interesting! James Whiting also confirmed the same doubts raised by Roger (hello Roger!) - and will also now not fit Facet units. For the sake of completeness, mine is also pre-filtered and has the Facet filter, too - and upon inspection both were found as clean as a whistle. I've also swopped out the old steel petrol tank for a new ali. one recently (thanks Rory...) to negate any tank-based gunge.

I'm also hearing that Weber produce a pump - in addition to Roger's Holley suggestion, anyone using a Weber? FWIW, the spare 'emergency' pump which carried us from Dijon, through Switzerland to St. Moritz and back home again without missing a beat was from Stewart Warner Corp. - but they don't seem to have a UK-based distributor, unfortunately.

Pierson

pierson.broome@bt.com